Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Lump Discussion is OVER!!

TUTTLE871
TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Picked me up a 20 Pound bag of lump from Central Market last week out of curiosity. Paid 12 bucks for it so if it sucked I would be ok with it. All I can say is HOLY S..T, thats stuff was huge (Will Take Pictures). And when I went to fire up the Egg it started faster than the other stuff I have been getting.

If you havent tried it I highly reccomend it. Now im off to see how my pizza is doing.

Also it was great meeting everybody at EggFest.

Shawn

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    What was the brand?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I bought some Nature-Glo this weekend. I was impressed with it. About to do a pork loin tonight and will give it my "review". Might be my new go-to
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • 2spicy
    2spicy Posts: 18
    I have 2 1/2 40# bags of Narure-Glo just sitting in the garage that I don't know what to do with, it has an undersirable funky odor when burning and it also somewhat noticable in the cooked food, must have been in the wood they were using at the time this batch was made up.
  • Chubbs
    That's strange. Just pulled up the Whiz's lump reviews and see where it is "highly recommended". You letting it burn the VOCs before putting meat on?
  • 2spicy
    Yes I burn off the VOCs and it makes no difference as the odor is always there, it's not an odor as if was sitting in moist enviroment for too long or anything, I personally think they possibly had a tree or 2 in the batch that just has a bit of a funky smell to it also I burn 1-3 cords of hand fetched wood in the fireplace each winter some of which I burn is unknown species and every once in a while I can very slightly notice a off odor close to this so this is the only conclusion I can come up with.
  • ben4unc
    ben4unc Posts: 14

Chubbs and @spicy - Nature Glo is a Royal Oak Foodservice packaged product.  Make sure to only buy the one that uses Hardwoods from the USA.  They do have a Nature Glo that uses wood from Paraguay that produces "off flavors".  The country of origin is listed on the bag.  The Naked Whiz review is for Nature Glo Lump from the USA.  The USA and Paraguay bags are identical except you have to look for the country of origin.  My food distributor was shipped by Royal Oak a couple of pallets that were from Paraguay by mistake and they had alot of people who were upset and had to replace with the USA Nature Glo.

• Chubbs

Chubbs and @spicy - Nature Glo is a Royal Oak Foodservice packaged product.  Make sure to only buy the one that uses Hardwoods from the USA.  They do have a Nature Glo that uses wood from Paraguay that produces "off flavors".  The country of origin is listed on the bag.  The Naked Whiz review is for Nature Glo Lump from the USA.  The USA and Paraguay bags are identical except you have to look for the country of origin.  My food distributor was shipped by Royal Oak a couple of pallets that were from Paraguay by mistake and they had alot of people who were upset and had to replace with the USA Nature Glo.

yeah, mine is USA and I have been impressed with it

• 2spicy

Thanks Ben, mine also states made in USA or I would not have purchased it but I may have purchased a few bags that were mislabeled, I will confront this with RO.

• TUTTLE871
    What was the brand?

Central Markets Brand so it is basically HEB's.

Im impressed with it.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Tuttle871, my hunch is the stuff you bought is mesquite (mexico) packaged for HEB.  Couple clues are:  big pieces and the price per pound.  If you light it with a torch, it will spark a lot, another sign for mesquite lump......t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • TUTTLE871
    Tuttle871, my hunch is the stuff you bought is mesquite (mexico) packaged for HEB.  Couple clues are:  big pieces and the price per pound.  If you light it with a torch, it will spark a lot, another sign for mesquite lump......t
    Checked it, Its USA. I used a starter cube cut into 4 squares and the a little 91% Alcohol. started up just fine.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TUTTLE871
    They do have another version that is from Argentina. Im not sure how that one compares.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Shawn, I'm using the same stuff right now.

It was good to meet you and your wife. I'll be on the lookout for a good hog hunt around here.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721

They do have another version that is from Argentina. Im not sure how that one compares.
    The lump CM / HEB lump from Argentina has a sweet smelling smoke and doesn't spark like mesquite. I don't use mesquite anymore unless I am grilling steaks or burgers.IMHO the mesquite flavor is a bit much for fish and chicken. 

Happy Grilling!
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I've used that stuff before, Shawn, and I like it, but then again mesquite doesn't bother me being a true South Texan. I just picked up 2 40lb bags of the other stuff Central MArket carries. B&B i think it is.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I've used that stuff before, Shawn, and I like it, but then again mesquite doesn't bother me being a true South Texan. I just picked up 2 40lb bags of the other stuff Central MArket carries. B&B i think it is.
    Agreed, there is a lot of mesquite in South Texas, I love turning in it on my wood lathe. There is also a lot of mesquite charcoal for sale here in South Central Texas. After I started cooking more fish and chicken than beef, mywife commented on the mesquite smoke flavor in the meat. I am using peach, apple and pecan chunks with oak and charcoal from Argentina and exotic places like Arkansas. Wife likes it and that makes all of the difference.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    My brother gets me Lazzari brand lump that has huge pieces and burns for a very long time, I've been very impressed with it.

• TUTTLE871
    Shawn, I'm using the same stuff right now. It was good to meet you and your wife. I'll be on the lookout for a good hog hunt around here.
    Travis, Good meeting you as well. The Oysters were awesome and that pineapple was (well im still thinking about it). Ordered me the Dizzy Pig combo kit today so now im set for a while. Shot my bow yesterday in anticipation of killing pigs.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.