Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini

NecessaryIndulg
NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I saw the mini in real life for the first time today.  Now I want one.  Just because.  :D
For those of you have have a mini... tell me everything you cook on it and if it is a good addition to a LBGE. 
Thanks!
I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.

Comments

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    You should just buy an XL, medium, small, and mini to go with your large, to have the matching family!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Kristi,

I've had my Mini for 3 days now and done two cooks, so I am an expert.  
    :))

I cooked a ribeye on my first try, but overcooked it (160) because I didn't check the temp quick enough.  I think steaks will cook quicker because they are so close to the coals.

My second cook was shrimp and scallops.  The Mini did wonderfully on those.

I bought two 8 1/2" pizza stones from Amazon (recommended by Mickey) and we are going to do mini-pizzas tonight.

Just getting my feet wet, but having fun with my new toy.  With just the two of us, I think we'll use it more than the large or medium.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    I am looking ito a mini myself. having somewhat of a problem between that and a small to go along with my XL and large. 8-}
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I'm gunna win one tomorrow. I'll give a report after I do.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    What do you do, light one large lump of coal?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Village Idiot
    I'm gunna win one tomorrow. I'll give a report after I do.
    Travis,

I'll sell you my winning Mini, since I already bought one this week.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I'm confident my positive mental attitude will bring me success.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    You're both wrong, I'm going to win one! :-)
  • Village Idiot
    Travis and Centex,

It's not important who does the drawing for the winning ticket, what's important is who announces the winner.

Mickey and I are blood brothers.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Damn Travis I was hoping to win one also. My other half told me to leave check book at home and she has confiscated credit card as well.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• gamera06
    gamera06 Posts: 80
    I got a mini for a while now. When I cook for the 2 of us, or myself, I use the mini 80% of the time. If you want to do indirect, the cheap easy way is to use planks. Mini turns hot quite fast with a single sheet with oil. I usually transfer old charcoal pieces from my large as they are smaller so they fit well. Keep it clean as the airflow is tighter and the fire grate can be misplaced.
    Chicken on the mini is great. Searing must be made lid open except you have your mini thermonuclear and that you already crystalized your felt gasket.

Enjoy !
    BGE XL, Large & Mini, Black Wifi Stoker Cannes, France
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Doc wrote:"What do you do, light one large lump of coal?'... Not Doc it actually holds 4 umps =))

Seriously, just about any type of cook you can do on the others eggs you can do one the mini.  We have had our mini for a year and have done steaks, turkey wings, chicken, and chicken wings, pancakes, ebleskivers, awesome baked potatoes/veggies...you name it.  Also fill it up to the ring with lump and can do low and slow  yummy ribs.  You won't be disappointed by the little guy
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I bought mine about a month ago.  It is a searing machine!!!

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Bowhurn yours is old enough to be outside now. Let it grow up and be and outside Mini.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited March 2012
    Bowhurn yours is old enough to be outside now. Let it grow up and be and outside Mini.
    ^^^ :))  ^^^

Thanks, guys!   I knew I could count on y'all!  I think I see a Mini in my near future! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    LOL!!  Good one Mickey.  It's been outside since that was taken.  I just cooked some shrimp and ribeyes on it last night.  Fact is, my other three eggs are probably wondering what the hell is going on.  These things are fun little cookers!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE