Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Eternal Lump Debate

Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I use BGE brand, which I really like but which seems so pricey.

I have few options where I live.  I tried Cowboy, and did not like it.

I finally dragged myself to Wally World and bought some Royal Oak.  I snagged a manager and asked if there was a volume discount, and he said the price is the same by the bag or by the pallet.

So I took it home, cleaned the XL out and did a cook exclusively with Royal Oak.  It was just fine and seemed as good as BGE (cue the person to tell me it is the same in a different bag.)

The bags are different sizes and prices.  I am not much of a math-in-the-head guy, so I waited until I got home to price them. 

Well........ the Royal Oak is $0.70 a pound and the BGE is $1.25 a pound.  My BGE dealer gives you a 10th bag free after the first 9, but that still makes 10 bags it $112.50 opposed to $77.27.

Guess I'll have to trek to one of my least favorite places to shop when I need lump.

PS here is the test cook.........

PPS set of the _)(**%# fire alarm.  Ah, the trouble with beautiful weather, open sliders, and Big Green Eggs.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Up our way, (British Columbia, Canada eh) I can only source Royal Oak from two different outlet stores, Wally World and Canadian Tire. They are within a penny a pound difference, $1.18 and $1.19 per pound. RO seems to burn ok, but how would I know any different. :-? And I have to stock up, because lump isn't as popular here. Come winter they don't even carry it. I will hoard some bags for winter.
    Hey Doc love your set up, looks nice and relaxing.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I really like the Royal Oak as well. My local Wal-Mart has been out for a month and the manager doesn't know when it will be restocked. I have had to go to the dealer for BGE charcoal while I wait. $30 per bag after tax! That really hurts. I have 2 other Wal-Mart stores within 20 miles, but when I need lump in a hurry and gas is almost $4 per gallon, who wants to male a 40 mile round trip? Dealer is 2 miles away.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    30.00 per bag wow!!!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Doc,

Didn't I see your picture on an email that's going around, buying a bag of RO at Walmart?  
    :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Dragon Breath delivered to my house near Nashville is $33 per 20# bag (Charcoal is $16 and shipping is $17).  After reading the review I thought I would give it a try and see if it lived up to the hype - bought 3 bags.  If it does, I'll start looking into sharing a pallet if I can get enough local interest.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    My personal favorite is Ozark Oak.  Delivered to the door.  I just got 10 bags, I think delivery is free with orders of + $100.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    My personal favorite is Ozark Oak.  Delivered to the door.  I just got 10 bags, I think delivery is free with orders of + $100.
    Have you found Ozark Oak in 20 pound bags?  If so, from whom?  GrillStuff is charging $10.95 per 10 pound bag and we can get BGE for that price locally.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    What external lump debate? :-) I use Ozark Oak exclusively. My dealer always has it in stock and I pay about 7.95 per 10 lb. bag.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • waegger
    waegger Posts: 88
    Iam still getting 10 lb bags of ro at wall mart for 6.49 .
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

I'm in the process of trying out new ones and am just getting through my first and maybe last bag of Wicked Good.  It is excellent, but double the price of RO.  It does burn longer, but not close to twice as long.  I also bought a bag of Cowboy and just opened it.  I have read here that it is made up of scrap wood, but mine has wood that is obviously round branch type wood not hardwood scrap, maybe havent gotten down that far in the bag yet.  The jury is still out on the Cowboy.  I'm not sure why I am shopping around because the RO is working great. 

George

George
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I like the sixe of the lump pieces in Ozark Oak compared to BGE. Almost none of the really small. Yes, it it a buck a pound but I like it delivered, 10 or 12 bags at a time.
  • EGGARIFIC
    EGGARIFIC Posts: 21
    Call your local ace hardware and ask them to order you some Wicked Good. Couldnt find any withing 100 miles and called ACE right down the street and 3 days later had 10 bags of Wicked good.
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    You might try GFS foods. I am not at the house to check, but I think the bag I bought is 20 lbs at $13.00. The MSDS sheet shows this to be Royal Oak. I have only cooked once with it, but seemed pretty good and cheaper.
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Iam still getting 10 lb bags of ro at wall mart for 6.49 .
    8.8lb here in north FL. $6.47
    More meat please !! :-)
  • waegger
    waegger Posts: 88
    It could be last years stock. they have about 40 bags left. I hope to buy 10 more bags before its gone.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited March 2012
    You guys need to move to Florida... We have lump everywhere, year round, even our local grocery stores carry it.  B-)
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • BGElovr
    BGElovr Posts: 83
    Anyone ever heard of or used Fire and Flavor lump? Just bought a 5lb bag for $5 and have nevre heard of it.