Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coffee rub question?

Gato
Gato Posts: 766
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Excuse my ignorance on this but I have heard on a few threads about coffee rub. What is this exactly?? What are the best uses for it?
Geaux Tigers!!!

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited March 2012

Here's my recipe;

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
    1 tsp. granulated garlic
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    4 tsp. kosher salt
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    4 boneless rib eye steaks 1 1/2" thick
    Directions
    rub 1 1/2 Tbs. of mixture all over each steak. Grill to desired doneness

Dizzy Pig also has one called Red Eye Express and it is quite good.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • I just did the Coffee-rubbed Pork Tenderloin with peach barbecue sauce recipe in the back of the BGE Cookbook.

The rub wasn't as extravegant as BillyRay's... (which I'm gonna try)... but it was great on the pork!

Coffe Rub:

2 tablespoons ground coffee

1 tablespoon turbinado sugar (course, raw sugar)

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 1/2 teaspoon tables salt (I used 3/4 teaspoon of sea salt)

1 teaspoon of frshly ground black pepper

Slather the pork loin in olive oil and then add the rub.

Good for 2lbs of tenderloin.... (I made 7.5 lbs)

Peach Barbecue Drizzle:

1 1/2 cups Peach Preserves

1/2 cup of ketchup

2 tablespoons of balsmic vinegar

2 tablespoons of light brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon of  freshly ground black pepper

(mix all of that up and warm over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, set aside and let cool)

Just drizzle it over your pork when you're ready to serve.

BOOMER!
  • Gato
    Nice, thanks guys. Can you taste the coffee?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Nice, thanks guys. Can you taste the coffee?

Yep... but it's not overpowering. It went well with the peach stuff.
    BOOMER!
  • Gato
    Gonna have to give this a try.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I used BillyRay's version minus the cocoa. 
    I definitely recommend it. You can take a look at an example here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1137739/first-bge-cook-this-weekend#Item_7

I'm gonna have to try that peach drizzle, Thanks SS.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Putting ground coffee on meat just dosen't sound right.  But last night I thought I would give it a try. Quick defrosted a couple boneless pork cutlets.  Rubbed ground coffee and salt and pepper into the meat, let sit for 1/2 hour then to the egg. It was amazingly good. Did not taste like coffee at all, just a good rich flavor added to the cutlets.  I'm a believer. 
  • Putting ground coffee on meat just dosen't sound right.  But last night I thought I would give it a try. Quick defrosted a couple boneless pork cutlets.  Rubbed ground coffee and salt and pepper into the meat, let sit for 1/2 hour then to the egg. It was amazingly good. Did not taste like coffee at all, just a good rich flavor added to the cutlets.  I'm a believer. 
    Now, not sure if this is true or not, but this is what I heard - early Western settlers (ie, cowboys) used coffee grounds as a rub for their steaks.  Obviously, back then, they cooked over an open fire, or w/ cast iron, etc (no ovens, and (GASP) - no Eggs!!). 

Anyway, there is a steakhouse in Oakland that offers a coffee rubbed steak on its menu, and it calls it the "cowboy steak." 

Anyway, my GF likes her steaks w/ a coffee rub (and DP even makes one called "Java Lava" I think), but since I don't drink coffee, or like the taste of it, I MUCH prefer either a Montreal type rub, or just a general steak rub. 

But from what my GF says - she LOVES the coffee rub on her steaks!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Gato
    I was thinking the same thing. Just doesn't sound right. I heard so much about it, thought I'd ask. Gotta try it.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I used to say the same thing, and never wanted to wreck a nice piece of meat. So glad i got over it.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    There is a steak house in Louisville that has coffee marinated steak as a feature on the menu.  I was skeptical but tried it.  Very good, no coffee taste.  So I was still skeptical when I rubbed coffee into my meat but I'm an adventurer and it turned out very well.  Will definitely do again.  Whodathunkit?