Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An observation and a request

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have read that there are people who consider us, on this forum, to be newbies and uninformed Eggheads.  All of the "experts" have gone elsewhere to show off their expertise.  Although I agree with the fact that a lot of "experts" frequent other outlets, I beg to differ that our forum is lacking expertise.  I have seen very imaginative cooks from a lot of you and you have inspired me to reach out further in my quest for improvement.

So, I would like to challenge you to seek creative cooks and post them for us to learn.  Also, plating the dish is a fun and an artistic outlet for us frustrated artists.

The internet is full of recipes for us to try.  Think of some restaurant that you loved the entree, and find a similar recipe on the internet that you can adapt to the Egg.  

Just a thought.  Just a request.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Aww hell. Who gives a hoot. Cooking BBQ is simple. I've shown numerous people how I cook pork shoulders and they can cook them as well as I can.
    People just too damn big for tha britches on message boards. People here are helpful, insightful and just plain ole nice. You don't find that much on the Internet.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Your wish is my command.  I have something I have been meaning to do, I will make sure I post pics.  Meanwhile, my last creative cook.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• paulheels
    Damn a expert too. Everybody is an expert, blah blah. Just cause you got a bunch of posts by your name doesn't make you an expert. Tho people think it does.
    This is not directed towards anyone. Especially on this board. Just people who have that "expert" mantra.

Paul
  • Village Idiot
    You've done well, Grasshopper. Now, travel to Italy or Spain, or Bangladesh (no, scratch the last one).

:))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I agree, Gary. Let's do it. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    edited March 2012
    Damn a expert too. Everybody is an expert, blah blah. Just cause you got a bunch of posts by your name doesn't make you an expert. Tho people think it does.
    This is not directed towards anyone. Especially on this board. Just people who have that "expert" mantra.

Paul
    Paul, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.  I was hoping to cause us to try to go beyond the spatchcocks  and Trex's.  I am certainly guilty of that too.

Perhaps I was wrong.  Sorry.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Thanks VI...love the idea of taking it up a notch. I'm in! <):)
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    There is more beyond Trex and Spatchcock?  Now I know you are just joking, VI, you....
  • IrishDevl
    So baloney and such?
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited March 2012
    VI, I don't think you are wrong.  Let's just say I see a lot more newbies here (regardless of their cooking expertise) than "the other place", and I think it is because this is the official forum linked to by the official website.  I don't think it's a bad thing, just the way it works.  New owners find this place first, and this is where they come for help and to share their experiences.  I think anyone here would enjoy and benefit from some of the non-butt, non-steak, non-spatch cooking that get's done.  So, I applaud your request.

Here's a photo of a maple-planked brie I did, based on a recipe provided by Beli (either you know him or you don't).  This was easy, fun and really good to eat.  The recipe is on my website under Recipes, Miscellaneous.

The Naked Whiz
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I am planning on Bauernfruhstuck.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• IrishDevl
    Can we point out these so called experts?  I just want to know who we are talking about.  I haven't seen this, but if anyone wants to go somewhere else than good riddance.  I like this forum just the way it is.  
  • Village Idiot
    edited March 2012
    @Whiz.  Thanks.  Beli is a good friend of mine and is a major reason I wanted to go to Salado.  I don't care how long someone has had their Egg.  Once they have mastered temperature control, it's up to their creativity to come up with an exceptional dish.  A creative mind is not dependent on the length of time they have owned a piece of ceramic.

I didn't mean to refer to any "the other place", but I was reacting to a statement I did read elsewhere.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Can we point out these so called experts?  I just want to know who we are talking about.  I haven't seen this, but if anyone wants to go somewhere else than good riddance.  I like this forum just the way it is.  
    No, IrishDevl.  Holster your firearm.  This is a positive thread.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• IrishDevl
    VI, I don't understand you sometimes, you start a thread with some extremely vague information.  Can you be more specific?  I mean kind of nonsense if you ask me.  

"Somebody said we weren't cool, because we only grill and BBQ on our egg, so let's be sure to create some real cool stuff so we will show them" - come on man.
  • Village Idiot
    No, ID. Not to show "them".  Only trying to improve our collective abilities.  If all I see from you are spatchcock chickens for two years, I'm going to quit reading your posts.  If you're happy with that, then I applaud you.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    I was told of this forum from a friend that has had his egg for years. I may have found the forum on the egg site myself or maybe not. I have had my egg two weeks and already ready to" branch out" for new things. No matter what recipe I find online, I will usually make my own by adding or subtracting. I think that is how cooks no matter the "expertise" is should do it. I have found this forum to be of great help in finding my way to better cooks on my egg. I am also glad that people here love cooking, from anyone who needs to know how to start coals to Whiz and his informative websites. From a "newbie at eggin', not cooking". I could care less what people think, I have found that the more one seems to know, the more the legend grows.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2012
    I read something similar or the same in a huge Char Griller thread.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    It is like Whiz said more newbies here. One real good reason is this forum is so much easier to work and look at. We had to learn how to do the other forum (it was the only forum). Now with both, this is just easier to nav. Yes the guys on the other forum have large numbers next to their name (hell, I have a few myself), it is not makeing any of us better cooks. Just have been posting more(in years more). Guys I like this forum, I like the other forum. I wish more of you would try the other forum and more of the "other" guys would come over here and take advantage of this. I am tellling you guys, "THEY" are nice people and you can learn as well as "THEY" can learn from you. Those of you who make Salado  or any Fest will find after spending a few hours with someone who loves these eggs as much as you do, you have a new friend forever.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    edited March 2012
    I did not want to make this the "this forum" vs. "the other forum".  I just wanted to try to inspire folks here to, perhaps, raise the bar and stretch out for more creative cooks.

I see I have failed miserably, and am sorry I posted in the first place.  I'm sure there will be follow on posts complaining how this forum is "badmouthing" the other.  So silly.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Gary, I totally know how you feel.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    I can see where you are coming from Vill, look forward to the future cooks.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I totally get your point VI....I'm much more of a foodie than a bbq lover and would totally enjoy seeing more creative cooks shared. I embrace the challenge of raising my own creative bar....thank you!
  • Rebellab
    Rebellab Posts: 43
    VI, I know what you are talking about.  I have had my egg for six months and I didn't spend anytime at the other forum because I didn't like the format, not the people.  I am guilty in that I do not post often about experiences nor I have posted about cooks.  I enjoy reading each and everyone.  I especially like the photos.  I will make an effort to post photos and experiences to do my part.  There are a number of people on here that are "new" because they found this forum thru the egg website.  That is the nature of the beast.  As you said if it doesn't stay interesting, they will move on. 

LBGE South Dakota
  • IrishDevl
    I have no issue with any other threads, I wish them the best.  Enjoy this thread, and I do check in on the other BGE thread from time to time.  They do some good stuff.  
  • paulheels
    @VI. Haha you didn't ruffle any feathers. I got more hair than feathers anyway. I have issues with message boards and people. BBQ websites seem to be mostly void of all that frap. Atleast the two or three I visit.
    That's all!

Paul
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I've been grilling for a couple decades, but I'm one of those egg newbies that you speak of.  This forum made the transition to the Egg much easier than it would have been.  This forum is easy to use, friendly, and provides answers quickly.  It's hard to beat that. 

I'll apologize in advance, but I like my BBQ pretty simple, so not too often will I have anything cutting edge to post. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    I will be attempting to do something creative with this cabbage this weekend.....just not sure what yet. For reference that is a regular size plate in the background.
  • Agree with Ragtop...I've been grilling and smoking for years, but this community has helped shorten the learning curve with the egg.  Good Q is not always just about creativity...consistency is at least as important.  I would rather have the skill to cook killer steak each and every time, than to get it good 1 out of 3 times because I am always changing what I do.

As a "newbie" I appreciate the people here, and I will continue to participate even when considered the grizzly old vet.  I also participate on thesmokering, and find that community to be similar with the friendliness and the willingness to help out with honest but not mean spirited comments.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300

How about some stuffed peppers...

Ingredients
    € 5-6 Large Green/Orange Bell peppers
    € 1 Lb. Medium Italian Sausage
    € ½ Lb. Lean Ground Beef (organic)
    € 6 Large Green Onions, diced
    € 10 oz. Yellow Saffron Rice (pre-cooked) –Substitute White
    € 8 oz. finely shredded Parmesan cheese
    € 48 Oz. Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce (2-24 Oz bottles)
    € 2 Cups Mozzarella, finely grated
    € 4 Large Garlic Cloves peeled and minced.
    € Celery Salt and Garlic Pepper (to taste)
    € Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)

Preparation
    Cut tops from peppers and remove membranes and seeds; for more tender peppers, par-boil for 5 minutes and drain
    Cook Saffron Rice in 2 ½ Cups of boiling water in a 4 Qt. Emile Henry Stew Pot with a drizzle of EVOO
    Bring BGE to full flame and drizzle EVOO into a Emile Henry Cassoulet and brown the sausage, ground beef in a drizzle of EVOO with the green onions, celery salt, garlic pepper and diced garlic.
    Spoon pasta sauce into 13” Emile Henry Roaster about 1/2” deep
    Mix the rice into the browned meat in the cassoulet with the parmesan cheese in the cassoulet and stuff the peppers with the mixture.
    Sprinkle 1 cup of Mozzarella cheese over peppers then pour remainder of Pasta Sauce over peppers
    Sprinkle remainder of Mozzarella cheese over the top
    Remove Grid and replace with Plate Setter positioned with the legs DOWN; close lid and stabilize temperature to 350-375 degrees and bake for 45 minutes.

A printer friendly version of this is on my blog site; here is a jpeg version too.

http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com

Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241