Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thank You Mrs. Chan!!!!!

NightwingXP
NightwingXP Posts: 448
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I received my Wok from Tane Chan today and what can I say. It's awesome! Cannot wait to get it seasoned and start stir frying! Thanks VI for inspiring me to go after this Wok! I am so anxious to try this out it has become an obsession!! Gonna get it seasoned in the next couple days and then gonna try General Tso's and VI's Kung Pow Shrimp!
Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I think I can smell the soy sauce already !  Go for it, my friend.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• NightwingXP
    I'm glad your wok purchase had a "happy ending".

Yeeeeeeehaaaaaa!

=)) =)) =))
    Oh Thats bad but I like it !!!
  • NightwingXP
    VI what do you think about the bamboo brush to clean the wok with in between cooks? What do you use?
  • Village Idiot
    I've got a brush, and I use it from time to time, but unless you have a big buildup (which you shouldn't), I wouldn't worry about it much.  The small buildups will go away in the next cook or so (you'll be eating it).  Everytime you stir fry on the wok, you are seasoning it.  It will get better and better with every cook.
    Someone mentioned that they thought they knocked off a little season on their cook.  Again, don't worry about it.  It will reseason.   

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    My 20" hand hammered wok should be at my house Friday. I'm so excited, I may pee myself.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • NightwingXP
    I can get you some depends if you really need them Travis. Totally your call though  ...........
    ( I have no room to talk because I felt the same way until mine arrived today )
    :))
  • NightwingXP
    edited March 2012
    I've got a brush, and I use it from time to time, but unless you have a big buildup (which you shouldn't), I wouldn't worry about it much.  The small buildups will go away in the next cook or so (you'll be eating it).  Everytime you stir fry on the wok, you are seasoning it.  It will get better and better with every cook.
    Someone mentioned that they thought they knocked off a little season on their cook.  Again, don't worry about it.  It will reseason.  
    So do you just wipe it out with water/towel or something after a cook?
    Thanks VI. Just gauging what, if any, other things I might need
  • Village Idiot
    Wing.  I use one of those yellow/green sponges.  I try to use the yellow with hot water, but I will go with the green for something that has stuck.  Normally, it won't affect the seasoning, especially after a good coat.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I had VI on the phone yesterday when I used just the green pad. Thought I was doing easy but must have been a little to hard. Had a few spots show up. Following Gary's advice oiled BOTH sides and will let the next few cooks take care of seasoning.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    In Grace Young's The Breath of a Wok, she recommends against those bamboo brushes and for those sponges made for non-stick surfaces.  She said that only commercial kitchen woks can build up a patina thick enough to endure the bamboo.
    For what its worth... 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    My 16" should be here later this week. I can't wait!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    My experience was not good with my big wok from the Wok Shop(100% my fault). This small wok is a blast. I will use the heck out of it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.