Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Official BB SMOKE IS ON!!!!!

2»

Comments

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Well my dome temp started to drop again. It had dropped about 10 - 20 degrees and was trending downward. I stirred the ash and pulled some out of the damper and the fire started back up again. However I can only keep this trend up for so long. No where to put the hot ash/glowing red coals. The butts have been on the Egg since 9:45 last night and the internal temp was up to 172. Only raised 2 degrees in the last 2 1/2 hours. Since my fire has begun choking itself out twice now I decided to finish off in the oven. Make the house smell good. I think I need to figure out just the right lump and size layout to prevent this in the future. What does everyone else think?
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • NightwingXP
    Thanks Eggsbert! I hope yours turns out good too! My lord the smell is incredible. I haven't smoked anything since last summer. If yours smells as good as mine does then you are droolin!!

:D
  • NightwingXP
    edited March 2012
    Because I am obsessed with this form I have been reading about the turbo butt method. Could I wrap them in foil and raise my oven temp to 340 or so. Then wait for them to hit 195?

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Yes but it may affect the bark a little. Of course. Putting them in the oven may do that as well. Either way, they are going to be great. That is a LONG cook.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • NightwingXP
    I know. I have no idea why it took so long? Curious if my dome thermo is bad. I did just calibrate it 2 weeks ago, with boiling water method, but as I bought it used from my buddies boss ( who did not take good care of it, the thermo is in kind of rough shape ) I am now curious. I am going to go check it in the oven and maybe wrap them in foil. Thanks Putty!
  • Hi54putty
    I think that's a good plan. Keep us posted. This is very entertaining.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I think I would probably wrap them since they are in the oven. Have you looked in the egg and seen how much lump was in there?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • NightwingXP
    Ok, just probed one and its at 182 after only 45 minutes in the oven. I think I will just back off and leave it to cook. Its juicy and dripping like crazy into my drip pan and the whole house smells amazing! Its so close I will just leave it. I am definately going to check into that dome thermo.
  • NightwingXP
    I did Gato. There was still over half of the lump I put in there in left. It looked like all the smaller pieces of lump turned to ash and was maybe clogging? I could have used to many smaller pieces of lump. I used Cowboy and except for a few big pieces here and there it was all pretty uniform in size.
  • Gato
    Man with that much lump and the hi que grate seems like it would have been ok. Anyway, your still in for some good eating.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • NightwingXP
    Well I can screw just about anything up, or, over think it so don't underestimate me
  • NightwingXP
    Ok well after 2 hours in the oven them butts got up to 198 and 194 respectively and I yanked, foiled and coolered them. I am going to let them rest in the cooler for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours and then pull them in time for supper. Damn they smell wonderful!!!
  • Gato
    Well?? How did they turn out?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • NightwingXP
    Well I tell ya what. For a first time, getting my legs under me and running cook this was a pretty good success. The butts that I got were intertwined with a lot of fat! One butt was tender and fell apart with awesome flavor. The other butt had great flavor but wasn't as tender and also had tons of fat. These were not my normal cuts of butt. I got them at one of the local grocery stores. the other store I normally buy at sells Farmland pork cuts. These were just generic off the meat counter, came from god knows where. They were vacuum sealed two in a bag. They were great! Don't get me wrong but I have done better before. I am anxious to do it again! Wanna get some experience and completely figure this Egg smoking process out. All in all it was a great success. As others have mentioned you are always your own worst critic. Wife loved it but did say that past butts have been better. Thanks to everyone that kicked in with advice and feedback! Appreciate it! Semi questionable day Eggin is WAY better than a good day at work!! Thanks again. Getting a Wok tomorrow from Mrs. Tane at the Wok shop so my next endeavor over the next couple of weeks will be Wokkin!! She was so nice and helpful! Have a good night everyone. Keep Egging!!!!
  • Gato
    Looks good to me!
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • NightwingXP
    Thanks Gato! Appreciate the support
  • Hi54putty
    NightwingXP-
    I really enjoyed following this. Glad it was a success. I could almost feel the tension while reading your posts!
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • NightwingXP
    Thanks Putty! It was a fairly questionable day but it all worked out in the end. I came home today and took my Egg apart to discover that the High Que grate let so much small lump pieces and ash through that it was choking it out. The bottom of the firebox was completely full. Crazy. I cleaned it out and filled it back up and made one of the BEST DAMN PIZZAS EVER!!!! I will be making another post as this was my first epic pizza bake on the egg. Simply wonderful. Will never buy out pizza again! Best of all I used some of the pulled pork from this smoke for the pizza topping. Simply perfection! I will be making two other threads in a bit because I also got my Wok in today from Mrs. Chan. Great day to be an Egger. Thanks for the feedback and support !!
  • Gato
    Pulled pork pizza. I will be trying that. I love pizza cooks.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • NightwingXP
    I am going to be making a thread here shortly Gato. Pics to follow! Was truly marvelous!!
  • Gato
    Good I was wondering if you used traditional sauce or like a bbq sauce.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    For pulled pork pizza, try using BBQ sauce as the sauce and smoked mozzarella cheese...
  • NightwingXP
    Pizza thread is up.