Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best small cut of beef to do low and slow?

FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was going to do a brisket flat tomorrow because I've only done whole briskets and want a cheaper, smaller piece of meat this time.  I meant to grab a flat yesterday and there was only one left, went back today and no store in my town has one.

So I ask, if I want to do it low and slow, which other cut of beef could I use.  I like the fact that brisket is pretty lean, but for a substitute I'm just wanting something similar.  I've done Tri Tip before, but to me it's not really a low and slow.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Looking for something to smoke, then eat sliced with sides, not wanting to pull it.

Thanks,
Frank

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    rack of beef ribs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FxLynch
    Unfortunately, ribs are one cut that my fiance isn't a huge fan of.  I'm not opposed to them, but I prefer pork if I'm doing ribs.  Thanks for the suggestion though, much appreciated.
  • Janssen14
    Janssen14 Posts: 50
    Chuck roast is always good low and slow. Better flavor than brisket in my opinion.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    then you probably cant braise up some oxtail or lambshanks either. pit beef is done hot with an eye round 375/400 and sliced thin, same eye round done 275/300 gives you a deli beef(i like these chilled before slicing) both sliced thin thin. pot roast with a chuck, braising liquid 1/3 up the side of the roast so most sticks out and develops a crispy bark is anothe low and slow but you need to get the temps up to 300/325 to get it simmering nice
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chuck roast. And if you really want to make it even better lay bacon across the top of it while cooking.
  • Really a Chuck Roast,Now thats one I have not done, Temp.?

LET'S EAT
  • Janssen14
    Janssen14 Posts: 50
    I like 250 to 275.. Never tried putting bacon on it but I am next time!
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    I have done a few chuck roasts and It just doesn't tickly my fancy that much. It's the only meat I use for pot roast. Just not a fan egged.
    I haven't done these, but have read people doing flank or skirt steak and London broil. There were some posts not too long ago about those.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    Chuck roast here, I think it is much easier and just as good. That is just my opinion but I am sure there will be alot of different opinions
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    I like Chuck roast also. I usually cook low and slow between 225-275 until it hits around 170. Then I wrap in foil with some Onion, Red Bell Pepper, and Chopped jalapenos along with some beef broth. Once it hits around 200, younpull it and let it rest. Should shred fairly easily. The meat and the veggies you cooked with it make incredible shredded beef tacos.

Buckeye Bob
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • If you can't find a good "chunk" then buy 2 and stack them on top of each other.Works fine.  Cook just like a butt up to 200 degrees.
  • FxLynch
    Awesome suggestions guys, looks like chuck is the popular pick so I'll give it a go.  Not an important meal so I'm up for something new.

I'm always amazed with the quick replies here.  Thanks again folks,
    Frank