Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to use LBGE without nest or table.

Options
tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK, I'm sure this has been asked in the past, but I can't find it in the search. I'm picking up my BGE this weekend, and I don't have a table ready (or started. One place wants 2 grand for a table).  
What would be the best way for me to use a large egg without a nest or table? It will be on a cement patio, so Can I just use Cinder blocks with large paver? 
If anyone has any pics it would really be appreciated. 
TIA
Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    I mean I wouldn't take the chance of someone bumping into it and it ending up as Humpty Dumpty.   Definitely invest in the nest.
    Large BGE

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Stick the feet under it and set on a stable paver.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    mine sits on a paver, ive had the paver up off the ground on a plastic milk crate but i had the hinge wired to a deck rail
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2012
    Options
    This was a temporary solution for me and it worked fine.  Pretty stable but like Eddie said, you take a chance of it breaking if someone crashes into it.  I slight bump wouldn't knock it over IMO but anything could happen.

Four cinder blocks and a paver stone.  $13 at HD.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Assuming this is a temporary situation, just put it on a paver on the deck, perhaps using the ceramic feet too.  Before I built my table, I put one of my infamous sheets of slate on the deck and then used the ceramic feet.  Yeah, it is at an inconvenient height, but that will motivate you to get a nest or table.  Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • tazcrash
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Thanks all. 
    Yes this will be temporary. Like I said, it would be on a level cement patio, It would be backed up against a 2.5' cement wall, and out of the way. Hell, I may move my plastic patio box in front when not in use. :)
    I do understand the dangers of having anything bump into it, I'm not positive that a nest would provide that much more protection from tipping if hit into by my 7 year old. 
    ~X(
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited March 2012
    Options
    well, if you have a spare old apartment fridge, you can do what I do, and flip it sideways for a "redneck" table, complete w/ custom, built-in storage for things like your pizza stone, plate setter, etc (ie, the inside of the fridge)
    :-))

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    It took me a couple of weeks to finish my table, I cooked a few meals with my LBGE sitting on the patio floor, just made sure none of the kids were around it. I didn't use the feet, it was very stable sitting there. Of course I had to lean down a bit when putting and taking off the food but it wasn't that big of a deal. I am happy though that my egg has a new home.
  • Janssen14
    Janssen14 Posts: 50
    Options
    Wow! that looks risky especially with kids or maybe dogs around!
  • wolfsburg18
    Options
    I just had mine on the patio using the feet.  While the height sucks it will push you to get a table done.  
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    HH..that's pretty cool...If it was the other way you could use it for beer. :))
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    hh    you need a chair

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited March 2012
    Options

you guys are a riot!  $1000 cooker and a chair from the trash.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• tazcrash
    Options
    Nice!
    I hope the seating wasn't the reault of a cook gone wrong.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Use the plans on the whiz's web site or the big green egg site. I used the BGE plans and built my table in a few hours. My top wasn't done, but the egg was still up at the right height and I put a tray on the top supports until my counter top was made.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    My table is made of pt lumber, which I will stain in the summer. I splurged and had a concrete counter top made and used trex pvc decking for the lower shelf, so that jacked up the price a little. Even still, my total table cost was about $450. Even if you are a novice woodworker, you can build a table. If you stick to plain pressure treated lumber for everything, you can make your table for $150.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options
    i made my table for 70 bucks, 130 including the power tools i picked up from the pawn shop
  • woody's wood pit
    Options
    love the photos of the red neck table and chair...gotta be a place for Foxworthy to use this...too good

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    HH..that's pretty cool...If it was the other way you could use it for beer. :))
    thechief96 - hehehehe... yeah, that's true - unfortunately, that fridge had long ago given up the ghost.  Just hadn't gotten around to driving to the dump w/ it, and, as you know, in CA they're very strict w/ what you can put in the garbage... but, as you can clearly see, it's gotten a new lease on life - and, I'm doing one of the 3 "R's" (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) - I'm the KING of REUSE!!! :D
    hh    you need a chair
    fishlessman - now THAT'S a chair - dare I say, a THRONE!!!       :)=))
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • neumski
    neumski Posts: 41
    Options
    Nice!
    I hope the seating wasn't the reault of a cook gone wrong.
    That's funny!
    2nd large Egg Nest
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I think that this is a competition that I can win. The egg is sitting on the tops of some post sleeves from my deck. There are two 2x10's with three bricks. My work table was a dishwasher box. I don't have one of those fancy highback chairs with the 3 adjustment seats, but I'm sure I could pick one up if needed!
    egg.jpg 561.8K