Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking/Slow cooking a Ribeye Steak

Options
RichmondBGE
RichmondBGE Posts: 11
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever tried smoking/slow cooking a steak indirect.  I was thinking about trying some thick (2") fatty steaks, like a ribeye at around 250 degrees with a plate setter until they are at temperature.  I probably wouldn't sear them either, before or after. Just salt and pepper and whatever wood I decide to add, maybe mesquite or hickory.  Would there be any benefit to this as far as the steak being more tender, or would this just be a waste of time?

Comments

• windnsea26
    windnsea26 Posts: 159
    Options
    I've never done that or seen that.  I think ribeye's were meant to be cooked direct.  If you try it, I'm interested to see how they turn out.
    San Diego, CA
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited March 2012
    Options

I'm not too sure what you'd gain from low and slow. Those 2 inch ribeyes deserve a direct hot sear.  When I first started, a seasoned egger told me "to not over think things, and to follow the recipe." Every time I've attempted to significiantely adapt a cooking method it usually ends up distasterous. 

I'm from Virginia Beach.  There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of VA eggers on the forum. Best of luck with thoes steaks.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Assuming you are pulling them in the 120-135 degree range (for rare to medium-rare), then I do not think they would be any more tender.  That low temp does not render fat/collagen or break down connective tissue.

So all you will get is smoke flavor.  Let them cool down about 15 minutes, and then quick sear them, and it would be a pretty good smoked steak.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The advantage of most steaks, or cuts sold as steaks, is that they are very tender. The down side is that most don't have a lot of flavor. The standard methods of cooking make most of the meat no more cooked than medium rare, leaving most of it tender and juicy, but sear the outside to boost the flavor thru browning. A longer cook at lower temperature, as Cowdogs mentions, will just give the steak more time to absorb smoke.

Something I've never heard of anyone doing is hot smoking a rib-eye like a piece of oil fish. I've got a thin bit of strip steak I may sacrifice to experiment just to see. There's a butcher I go to who make a beef "jerky" that is not quite like any other jerky I've had. Thin slices, kind if like might come from a brisket, well flavored, but far moister and softer than regular jerky. Maybe a long low smokey cook would make something similar.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,763
    Options
    ive never cooked one that low but have cooked lots of two bones with a sear and a 300 degree roast til done. i like to find the 2 bone cuts relatively thin, about 2.5 inches thick, cook like a steak raised grid direct and then split it in half like a roast, what you get is two end pieces that are not over cooked like when you do a whole roast so a nice med/rare with all the seasoning of an end cut.

i do like thicker ribeyes and will cook 1 thats too big for myself, ill split it this way and cook it

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    fishman can I have the bone. please
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I like doing a reverse sear for NY Strips and fillet, but for ribeyes, I have found that I just prefer them grilled direct.  I think it is because of the fat cooks down better in direct cooking than when I have tried reverse searing them. 

I don't think I would try just smoking it outright without any sear, but it's a subjective thing.

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    [quote] That low temp does not render fat/collagen or break down connective tissue. [/quote]  

Ah, but steaks are cut from certain parts of the cow because there is no collagen/connective tissue.  And the fat should still render; grilling over high heat to 125 vs. slow to 125 has the same result, except around the edges/surfaces.
    I'm an experimenter, and I'd give this a try!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited March 2012
    Options
    except that most don't want the fat in a steak to render...  there's excessive fat in a butt, and it's good to let it render out.

you can slow roast a rib eye (whole), and see the benefit of slkow heating.  mostly, even done-ness.  but you can still get a crust.

with a single steak, the slow heating might give you a nice even heat throughout, but you'll be missing the carmelization of sugars from the higher heat.  searing does damage, but the benefits outweigh the minor moisture lost.

i think if you slow roasted a steak itself, you'd still wanna save some internal temp buffer so that you could sear it, too

but i'd just warm the thing up and then sear
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JalopyBob
    JalopyBob Posts: 175
    Options
    I tried this a few years back. It was a one time only experiment. All Ribeye's since then direct over hot coals. There was no advantage to a low and slow steak to my way of thinking.
  • gatorBGE
    gatorBGE Posts: 81
    Options
    I've had a cold smoked ribeye at a local restaurant. Chef cold smoked whole ribeyes then cut into steaks with a quick sear to order. Ton of flavor and cut like butter. Every time my wife and I go there I cross my fingers that it'll be on the menu that night. One of the only steaks I'll order when out to eat.
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • John Ross
    John Ross Posts: 49
    Options
    I too have a rather unconventional way of cooking Rib-eyes. I like to mound my lump all to one side. when  the charcoal is good and hot, I put the rib-eyes on the charcoal side, sear them, with the flame licking them, for about two minutes, then move them 90 degrees to get a nice checkered grill mark. flip them, and do the same on the opposite side. Then, I close both vents about 90%, ad a bit of oak chunks and move the steaks to the opposite, non coal side of the grill, where I leave then about another 7-10 minutes. I know it's unconventional, on a kamado style grill, but it works for me.