Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo cook Brisket?

billyray
billyray Posts: 1,275
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Has anyone turbo cooked brisket? Can you get decent results, like those that have done butts this way?

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    The only way I would speed up a brisket is to crutch it at plateau (about 160ish). Brisket is not as forgiving as pork.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    IMO brisket is the toughest of all cooks, where that butt is in the very easy group.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DevDave
    DevDave Posts: 40

I've done 2hr open - 3-4hr foiled cooks on Brisket - Brisket is definately finicky when I rush things, and every one is a surprise waiting to be opened, it may not be to my liking, even though the guests LOVE them.  I almost always have a backup plan if it's for a group, (Ribs / Appys), if I'm rushing it.

I do love to use a time crutch when I can - so I get sleep at night :)  No DigiQ's here.

• hot and fast brisket is all I do any more, 350 for 3 hrs or to 165, then foil (double bottom layer) then 2 hrs until 195, (I take it a little higher than typical 185-190 for low and slow) help breakdown the connective tissue, then in a cooler wrapped in towels for a hr or so. When you unwrap, foil is full of juice!! I only use full packers and I put a lot of wood chips and chunks to get as much smoke in before the meat hits 140, have had a good smoke ring most of the time.

Have fun,

Joe

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Are your full packers in the 12 to 15 lb. range?
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Joe is the fat up or down? And at the expense of provokeing VI I would like to invite you to Salado next Saturday week for the Salado EggFest.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    This was actually a BGE question I had too. I usually do just flats and with my old Weber smoker, I did it very similar to the way Plano described. Rub it. Cook at 350 until it hits 165, which usually took 2-3 hours. Then, wrap in foil with a little beef broth and cook until I could insert a thermometer probe with no resistance. As he mentions, lots of juice in the foil which I would then mix some with the sauce I was going to use. Downside is not much bark but done quickly and this method definitely helps keep the flat from drying out which was the problem I had when I would do low and slow.

Buckeye Bob
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Fat side down, as mentioned not as heavy bark but still enough. Thks for the invite to Salado, have a spring turkey hunt planned.
    Joe
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I've done several(on accident) and they turned out GREAT. 13lbs in about 5-8 hrs. The temp was unknown due to leaving the BGE and coming home to high temps. I have since raised my cooking temp to about 3-325 dome temp. Its much quicker.  
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.