Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PIZZA STONE QUESTIONS WITH PICS. GUIDANCE REQUESTED

NightwingXP
NightwingXP Posts: 448
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok I would like to take this time to draw on the wisdom of my fellow Eggers. I got two pizza stones today. A 12" that will allow me to do low and slow cooks on my medium and one that will allow me to do pizzas. I already had a 15" stone from pampered chef that the wife and I have had forever. Only prob is I am not sure of how to set them up and if there will be enough air flow around the stones. My medium grate size is 15" and per Whiz's website he states that a 14" round stone will work perfect for pizza on a medium. I have had difficulty finding a 14" stone locally and was very fortunate to find a 12" BGE stone on clearance locally for low and slow. I have a stone that is 15", one that is 14 3/4" and a 12". Which arrangement should I use and will they allow enough air flow to properly cook pizzas? One setup is the 15" stone on top of the 12" stone. One is the 15" stone on top of the 14 3/4" stone. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

The 12" stone pic in the Woo is naturally for smoking with indirect low and slow. ( just like to post pics )
:D
Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!

Comments

• I use my stone elevated in the egg but use my plate setter for indirect heat on the stone.  I typically have it in a good 30 minutes plus before I do any cooking on it if not more as I want the stone heated up and do my cooks around 500 to 550 for pizza as I like it thin and crispy.

I doubt I would stack the stones as you have in the pictures cut would use the elevated cooking method.  I would recommend testing out the various methods you have displayed to see which one works best for you.  I don't feel there is a specific method that works across the board but various methods which achieve the desired results.

Green Luck and have fun.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2012
    If you get it raised, you do not need the second stone. Now most do, but it is not written........
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NightwingXP
    edited March 2012
    I use my stone elevated in the egg but use my plate setter for indirect heat on the stone.  I typically have it in a good 30 minutes plus before I do any cooking on it if not more as I want the stone heated up and do my cooks around 500 to 550 for pizza as I like it thin and crispy.

I doubt I would stack the stones as you have in the pictures cut would use the elevated cooking method.  I would recommend testing out the various methods you have displayed to see which one works best for you.  I don't feel there is a specific method that works across the board but various methods which achieve the desired results.

Green Luck and have fun.
    The only method that I have for raised direct is with a Woo and a stone. I had thought to stack the stones since I have seen people use the platesetter feet down and with a stone on top. It was my belief that another stone was used on top of the platesetter because the pizza could burn without the use of two layers of stone. This must not be the case. Do you think that I could just use one stone raised to the felt line. If so do you think that the bigger stone that I have pictured is ok and allows enough air space around it? I was not sure how my air flow is needed and do not want to choke off the fire too much.
  • NightwingXP
    If you get it raised, you do not need the second stone. Now most do, but it is not written........
    ANDDDDDD like a moron I now read Mickey's post. LOL thanks Mickey!! Do you feel that there is enough air flow with the bigger stone as well?   

( Boy am I stupid sometimes )
    :-S
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Not sure if this helps, but I have great success with pizza and I use a 13" stone low on the adjustable rig and a 16" stone to cook on elevated on top of the AR....this is on a large though so it may or may not compare, but it sounds like it might if you want to use your smaller stone for the indirect piece.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    I used to do it with my 13" stone down in the spider for indirect and the bigger stone on top for the pie, but I had a hard time getting my egg up to 800 at least with that setup. I think the stone that low was really doing too well of a job blocking the heat from getting to the dome so I raised it to the bottom of the AR and the problem was solved.

I have been wanting to try just raised direct though...maybe next time.
  • trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    I have been told if you use two stones that you would use the larger stone for the indirect piece and the smaller one for the pizza.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Nightwing I would sure think so, Mighty Q has a 16 and no problems.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The only method that I have for raised direct is with a Woo and a stone. I had thought to stack the stones since I have seen people use the platesetter feet down and with a stone on top. It was my belief that another stone was used on top of the platesetter because the pizza could burn without the use of two layers of stone. This must not be the case. Do you think that I could just use one stone raised to the felt line. If so do you think that the bigger stone that I have pictured is ok and allows enough air space around it? I was not sure how my air flow is needed and do not want to choke off the fire too much. 
    One stone raised to the felt line should be good.  I just measured mine and the stone is just over 16 5/8 and the inside of the egg is just shy of 18.  I mainly just use the upper damper to control the temp and find that is enough space for the fire to breath.  The lower damper is wide open.

As I noted before test a few methods to find what works for you.  Try a few simple flat breads from homemade dough, if you want something you can use with a meal add a touch of olive oil with course salt and rosemary.  If it turns out great, otherwise it was a cheep test.
  • NightwingXP
    I used to do it with my 13" stone down in the spider for indirect and the bigger stone on top for the pie, but I had a hard time getting my egg up to 800 at least with that setup. I think the stone that low was really doing too well of a job blocking the heat from getting to the dome so I raised it to the bottom of the AR and the problem was solved.

I have been wanting to try just raised direct though...maybe next time.
    Ok so are you guys doing your Pizza's with 2 stones then. I am gonna zip over to Whiz's site and see how he does it. I'm thinking I have not researched this enough. How hot do your egg up to for baking a pizza?
  • NightwingXP
    I use my stone elevated in the egg but use my plate setter for indirect heat on the stone.  I typically have it in a good 30 minutes plus before I do any cooking on it if not more as I want the stone heated up and do my cooks around 500 to 550 for pizza as I like it thin and crispy.

Green Luck and have fun.
    Ok you have just convinced me to make up my mind and try it. I'm gonna try my 12" stone for indirect and one stone on top for baking the pie. This is gonna be supper tonight so will either be a success or we will end up with PBJ for supper. What the hell. Like you stated WB. I have to try my setups and see what works. Thanks everybody. I will post pics later!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Yes, I definitely use two stones and my smaller one is lower in the egg. If both my stones were higher up in the dome, say one on top of the AR and one on the level below it, I would put the bigger below, but I have the smaller stone either on the bottom level of the rig or the spider, where there is less space for airflow....I like the bulk of the heat to be soaked lower in the dome...I think I can control high temps better that way doing indirect.

As for temps....it depends on the dough I'm using. If its has sugar and/oil I stick around 600-650, but lately, I've been making dough with just yeast, flour water, salt and cooking them at 800+....sort of a preference there. I'd say go on the lower end of the spectrum for your first pizza cook....less chance of burning crust.
  • NightwingXP
    Ok MQ thanks so much the input. I think for my first pie try I am going to shoot for indirect with 12" stone low and bigger stone up high. I will also shoot for 550 temp. I have seen Travis and some others mention that they keep their daisy wheel off so they can look in and see how the cook is going. I will try that as well. Wish me luck.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Good luck....definitely keep the daisy wheel off. I never use mine over 300 or 350.....doesn't matter what I'm cooking.
  • NightwingXP
    Well got a pizza thrown together and its on the Egg. Cannot get the temp over 470 so I think next time I will have to try taking the 12" stone out of the bottom of the Woo and try to get better temps that way. I think the 15" stone at the felt line is choking too much of the air. Daisy cap is off and both dampers wide open. Still enjoying my Eggin though!!!

:x
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Sounds like it could be air flow....with my 16", it is about 2" above felt on top of AR.
  • SyrEgg
    SyrEgg Posts: 6
    Well got a pizza thrown together and its on the Egg. Cannot get the temp over 470 so I think next time I will have to try taking the 12" stone out of the bottom of the Woo and try to get better temps that way. I think the 15" stone at the felt line is choking too much of the air. Daisy cap is off and both dampers wide open. Still enjoying my Eggin though!!!

:x

check your ashes under down below to make sure they arent inhibiting airflow...It was the cause of a similar problem for me,,
  • NightwingXP
    Thanks SyrEgg. I did check my coals and they were fine. I MG and I were right. I think its an airflow issue. No big deal. For it being my first I think that the pizza turned out pretty good! A little refining and this will be a 2 - 3 a week cook. I have visions of pulled pork/chicken bbq pizza. Should really be good once I get a handle on it. Here's some pics of before and after. Not bad for a throw together.

Thanks everyone for their feedback. Had fun!!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Nice job....they look great. I'm probably doing a couple pizzas tomorrow...I'll post them for sure. It does look like it could/should be a hotter cook...hopefully changing the stone postitions will help you get higher temps next time.
  • NightwingXP
    I agree Q. I think once I get the feel for it I will be having neighborhood pizza parties. ( With the good neighbors ) God knows everybody has bad ones!!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Once you get a feel for it, you will never get delivery or go out for pizza again.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Platesettter legs down, 12 inch stone on platesetter, 500 Degrees with parchment paper under the pizza.  Let the stone get hot before you cook.  Watch out with the pampered chef stone, I've seen a LOT of posts where they crack during the cook on an egg.  Good Luck.  Keep On Eggin'
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • NightwingXP
    Platesettter legs down, 12 inch stone on platesetter, 500 Degrees with parchment paper under the pizza.  Let the stone get hot before you cook.  Watch out with the pampered chef stone, I've seen a LOT of posts where they crack during the cook on an egg.  Good Luck.  Keep On Eggin'
    Thanks! I don't have a platesetter but I will be adjusting my Woo setup until I can figure out what works well! Still had a great time and will make this a regular occurance!
  • wolfsburg18
    wolfsburg18 Posts: 78
    edited March 2012
    NW, First great looking pizza and congratulations on a successful cook!

I personally found that  with not reaching a high temps as noted is not so much an airflow issue but insufficient charcoal.  If I don't add enough fresh charcoal or have enough charcoal loaded that is as much of an issue if not more than an airflow issue. At the start of the cook I take my ash tool, stir up the left over charcoal and ensure good air flow.  I add fresh charcoal mix it around gently as to not crush or break it up and add a bit more to reach a level I have found to be sufficient.

I find I can get high temps when desired this way and limit my waste.  Early cooks I did would allow the egg to burn off everything even after a cook, now I shut it up tight when done or even before the cook is done and allow the heat retention of the egg to finish.  

This is just my experience and views and most of cooking is trial and error and what works for you may not work for the next person.

Again Congratulations on a successful pizza cook.
  • NightwingXP
    Thanks Wolfsburg! I really enjoyed making this pizza. I was a Pizza Hut nerd in high school and college so making pizzas has always been fun for me. The Egg takes it to a whole new level though. Appreciate the feedback and I will check my coals next time and try what you mentioned to see if that helps! Thanks again!