Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Customer Service Rocks -- New Gasket on the Way

cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
As many have done before, I called the mother ship to complain about my burnt off gasket. I have only had the egg for  month and the gasket is almost all gone. Without any question, he asked for my address so he can send me a new high temp (nomex I'm assuming) gasket at no charge. This is the first company that I've ever worked with that is taking care of an item that is not actually covered under the warranty.

This forum has officially helped save me some money. Without being a member, I would have never thought to call BGE about a new gasket. I would have just ordered a new one on my own. Thanks for all of the tips, everybody!
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Did they ask for proof of purchase?? I lost my receipt and warranty info and the store I bought from is out of business. I am about to order a new gasket but I guess it may be worth checking with BGE first.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Did they ask for proof of purchase?? I lost my receipt and warranty info and the store I bought from is out of business. I am about to order a new gasket but I guess it may be worth checking with BGE first.
  • cortguitarman
    @chubbs The only question they asked is where I purchased my egg and what size. I had the receipt sitting next to me, but didn't look at it once for any information. I would definitely give them a call. It can't hurt. He told me that gaskets typically last between 2-4 years. I would guess that as long as your egg is fairly new, that they will send you a new gasket.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Unfortunately they told me the same thing a month ago, and despite a follow up email I haven't seen it yet.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Doc, I had the same thing.  The guy first said "well we don't cover gaskets" and then said he'd send it out but never sent it.  This was back in August.  

I love my Egg so I won't complain!
    Large BGE

• cortguitarman
    We'll see what happens. Others on this forum have had theirs replaced by BGE. I called instead of email. I'll definitely call back if it is not here in 2 weeks.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Doc_Eggerton

Eddie,  that is exactly my story; "not covered, but well send it."  Did it happen to be Duane?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    I had mine burn off last october. Called them, admitted it was my fault it happened, and had my gasket delivered in the mail 4 days later. Sent me a new hardware pack when I snapped off a screw putting on my egg mates as well.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • I guess I was too honest. I just called and when he asked how old my Egg was I told him over a year. He said that the gasket was covered for a year. So, i'm bascially on my own. Oh well, it's a cheap fix.

• I guess I was too honest. I just called and when he asked how old my Egg was I told him over a year. He said that the gasket was covered for a year. So, i'm bascially on my own. Oh well, it's a cheap fix.

• I've read on numerous posts that BGE replaces their junk gasket with the nomex gasket free of charge. Why don't they just start putting the nomex on the egg in the first place. The BGE is a superior product with a gasket defect. They're clearly aware of the problem. Surely I'm not the first person to ask this question. Someone must have the answer.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• cortguitarman
    I agree. I've had the same thought many times. At least they take care of the problem, though.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    even though most of us have new gaskets and understand about the gasket problem.  I would be willing to bet, the majority of EGG owners do not use their EGG to do high heat cooks.  Many people have no idea about searing steaks at 500 or 600 degrees.  Most people wouldnt ever think of cooking breads or pizzas on a grill.  Us, the people on these boards are a very small minority of EGG owners.  The number of people who actually understand what the gasket is and when it is burnt off is probably not too high.  That is my hypothesis.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited March 2012
    even though most of us have new gaskets and understand about the gasket problem.  I would be willing to bet, the majority of EGG owners do not use their EGG to do high heat cooks.  Many people have no idea about searing steaks at 500 or 600 degrees.  Most people wouldnt ever think of cooking breads or pizzas on a grill.  Us, the people on these boards are a very small minority of EGG owners.  The number of people who actually understand what the gasket is and when it is burnt off is probably not too high.  That is my hypothesis.

Paul

That's the best theory I've herd so far. I appreciate your insight.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Chubbs

Paul
    That is that Chapel Hill education right there.

• Doc_Eggerton

Just got an email from BGE appoligising for letting my new gasket fall through the cracks.  Said they will mail it out right away.

• Doc_Eggerton
    My Nomex gasket arrived today, now to see what kind of pain it takes to install.  My XL regulates fine, but I think I am loosing lump during an extended cool down.

• cortguitarman
    My gasket also arrived today. I'll install it on Saturday. If you learn any tips, let me know. I did see a video on Freds music & BBQ site on how to install a gasket. Doesn't look hard. He does recommend preshrinking the gasket in the dryer before installing.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

Paul

Even though your theory is more than likley correct, they must still have to send out a very large number of free gaskets/year to those of us who burned them off.  It cannot be more expensive to just install the high temp gasket from the begining over the crappy version plus the cost of sending out replacements.  If you advertise your product to be a all in one product from smoker to pizza oven install components that will withstand that range of temperatures.

George

George