Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many butts on a large? And a few more questions.

Options
GK59
GK59 Posts: 501
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

1) How many pounds of butts can be put on a large?

2) Is a butt any different then what I always refered to as a shoulder from the butcher ?

3) Once the butt comes up to temp of 200* or so, do you try to maintain it for a while or just pull and wrap ? Never paid to much attention when I did them on my gas smoker.

Finding a world of info here.

Need to feed the masses for St. Pat's day after the parade . Will do it on Saturday and warm it up.

Thanks , Bill

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited March 2012
    Options
    1.) dunno.  three or four whole butts seem to be fairly common around here

2.) a butt isa part of the shoulder (from the front leg).  the hoof  is the hock, the lower part of the shoulder is the picnic (has skin on it, like a ham would), and the butt is the butt end of the shoulder, where it attaches to the body.  a 'whole' shoulder would have a butt and picnic.

3.) it's done when it hits 195-205.  sliceable at 165, barely pullable at 185, pulls easily at 190-195.  after that it is a question of fat (seems to melt more excess fat  by the time it hits 205)  there's no benefit to holding them in a cooler (unless you are done early).  no need to 'rest' the butt like a roast.  ..except that after resting them other, it is not as hot on your hands.

pull them, then reheat saturday
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options

My question #2 seems a bit dumb (as I reread ) as my dad was a butcher all his life . Yet I didn't get into cooking to much untill after he passed. I was also not able to find his recipe for Kielbasa for which he made thousands of tons at the corner meat market of over 50 years span.

I should write some of my stuff down for my daughter.

Bill

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @ GK59-welcome.  stike is the resident guru when it comes to meat drying, preping, and cooking so listen well to his offerings.  That said, you will get lots of worthwhile info here from many others as you have alluded to-enjoy the BGE journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • evenwhenitsraining
    Options
    I find that the butcher's have usually cut the BB's in half to put them out on the shelves.  You can call ahead and ask them not to do so.  When I do this, I usually get two 10-12 lb. BB's.  This helps for the timing of the BB's so you can do the overnight smoke without worrying they'll overcook.  When you stack two full-size BB's into the Large BGE, you'll have to lean one up against the other, but this is okay.  During the cooking process, they will shrink a bit and fit perfectly.  I have done it this way every year.  Also, for some concise information go to the Naked Whiz's website.  
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Options

I've done three before using a raised grid.  Probably could have godden four on there.

From wikipedia:

In pre-revolutionary New England and into the American Revolutionary War, some pork cuts (not those highly valued, or "high on the hog," like loin and ham) were packed into casks or barrels (also known as "butts") for storage and shipment.[2] The way the hog shoulder was cut in the Boston area became known in other regions as "Boston butt". In the UK it is known as "pork hand and spring", or simply "pork hand".

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • CaptainSpaulding
    CaptainSpaulding Posts: 368
    edited March 2012
    Options
    GK59,

With a spare grate and a few balls of HD aluminum foil, you can fit a bunch. Picture below is six butts, averaging around 9 pounds a piece.

The large BGE is a cooking machine.

Cheers,

Captain Spaulding