Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Indirect

Options
Gato
Gato Posts: 766
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well I decided to try a spatchcocked chicken indirect today for the first time plus cook some veggies and sausage all in the same cook. I placed the platesetter legs up, small rolls of foil for spacers an aluminum pan with potatoes, bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, onion, garlic, a little italian dressing, butter, and seasoned salt. Next the ss grate with the spatchcocked chicken then the bge grid extender and topped it off with a link of green onion and jalepeno pork sausage. Pork sausage dripping on chicken dripping in the veggies sounds good to me so I thought I would try it. My only concern is the raw chicken juices dripping in the veggies at the beginning of the cook. I have the egg at 400°.
Here is a pic of the setup and a pic of the food on the egg.

Geaux Tigers!!!

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I cooked some chicken legs above some country ribs and had the same concern.

Looks like quite a creative set up...how'd everything turn out??
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Gato
    Options
    Only thirty minutes in.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gato
    Options
    I did see a freds music and bbq video a while back and he did veggies under chicken. Far as I know he's ok.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    Gato I did the smae with veg underneath and this added wicked flavor to veg!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Gato
    Options
    Just pulled it off. Pulled the sausage earlier, next time I will probably put it on after the first thirty minutes. Looks great, skin actually looks nice. Vegetables taste great also. Ready to eat. Sorry I know not the professional pics yall r used to.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • medic119
    medic119 Posts: 80
    Options
    That looks fantastic gato.  I must get a raised grid.
    Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • Gato
    Options
    Thanks medic119. It was a quick and easy all in one meal with minimal cleanup. I need those every now and then. I will say I was happy with the results of the chicken spatchcocked indirect.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Just pulled it off. Pulled the sausage earlier, next time I will probably put it on after the first thirty minutes. Looks great, skin actually looks nice. Vegetables taste great also. Ready to eat. Sorry I know not the professional pics yall r used to.
    I may have missed it, but how many minutes?  I have a regularly scheduled in-law cook on Fridays, and I might try a version of this next week.

Nice creative cook.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I did see a freds music and bbq video a while back and he did veggies under chicken. Far as I know he's ok.
    Yep, works fine. Makes the veggies taste amazing....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Gato
    edited March 2012
    Options

I may have missed it, but how many minutes?  I have a regularly scheduled in-law cook on Fridays, and I might try a version of this next week.

Nice creative cook.

At 400° the sausage only took about 20 to 30 minutes. I first checked the chicken at the one hour mark since I was doing it indirect and figured it would take a little longer. After that it probably took another 20 minutes at least. I wasn't really timing it but checked it with a thermapen. Vegetables stayed on the entire cook.

Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Curious about the effect of chicken fat on the veggies.  Would it be a good idea to make a drain hole in the pan so the fat flowed through the veggies but did not accumulate? 

I could even see putting a drain in the drip pan and an over coat of foil which was also perforated so the steam was held into the veggies, and the fat allowed to drain.

Without going into laborious details I have the makings to be able to
    have a drip pan under the described veggie pan under the chicken under
    the sausage.  Let's see, that is four levels.  I am sure I can rig that on the XL with what I have.

Oh, sounds like a project that definitely requires photo support.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Options
    Great job, the BGE is a chicken cooking machine.
  • Gato
    Options
    @Doc_Eggerton

Veggies had nice flavor under the chicken. I am curious about your idea though.

Geaux Tigers!!!
  • bariccardi
    Options
    Looks like it turned out great!