Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using leftover charcoal

rclark1187
rclark1187 Posts: 7
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Is it me or what. When I try to do a smoke using leftover charcoal I find that my dampner openings have to be about twice as much and it takes forever to get up to temperature. Can someone shed a little light on this?

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Are you stirring the charcoal to make sure the ash's clear down through the holes?   Only thing I could think of would be airflow.   Don't think there is any other difference.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    All lump is used once anyway.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Actualyy I stirred the charcoal up to settle the ash, removed the charcoal, then the ash and stacked it back in with several new chunks on bottom. With all new charcoal I need 1/4" on bottom gate and maybe an 1/8 on DW. That will give me 240 constant. With this old charcoal (doing country ribs today) I have 3/4" on bottom gate and full open on DW.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I just stir and dump in more. Easy.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I have found different results between brands.  I am not normally a buy-the-brand-name guy, but I have been sticking to BGE lump.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys