Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chops

meat73
meat73 Posts: 140
edited February 2012 in Pork

Things are going good.  First cook was spatcock chicken and wings took them to Daytona 500 party Monday everyone thought they were great.  Last night just did burgers and baked potato they wer ealso great it was raining but the BGE had no problems.  I think tonight is out wind is blowing like no other they say 50 mph winds so will skip grilling toningh but thinking of pork chops for tomorrow night how does everyone cook theirs?  Thinking of some ribs or pork roast for the weekend.

Thanks

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Did these on the Mini direct at 375. imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• My only caveat is that I put a pepper jelly glaze on top a couple of minutes before pulling them off.  Gives it a slight sweet, spicy taste.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Gary when did you stop putting a gun in your pictures? Also when did you stop putting your patio in them? When you were younger you were more interesting ^:)^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    When you were younger you were more interesting ^:)^
    That's what all the women say.

I'm trying out a new concoction tonight.  Just for you Mickey,  I will eat on the patio and I'll be packing heat (if it turns out OK).   

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Depends on how thick you get them. One of the last times I did them, they were about 1.5" thick, cooked at 500 until they reached 140F, then let them rest for 5-10 minutes. Look Here

Brines are always a great idea for pork chops.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    rmember that a chop is basically a pork rib eye.

make sure you treat it like a steak, by warming it up first.  on the counter for a couple hours, hot-tubbing, Trex or Xert, etc.

That way you get a nice even cook across the whole thickness, and not a well-done exterior around a small core of 'ideal'
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

meat73

I did some center cut boneless pork chops last night. 1-1/2" thick, seared @ 500 on CI grate @ regular level. Finished @ 350 to 400 on raised grate on the AR, to the temp. of 150. Seared 90 secs., turn another 90 secs., flipped for 90 secs. then pulled of until I dropped the temp.. I seasoned these with a recipe my cousin uses from Tyler, Tx.. Rub with worcestershire sauce, then cover both sides with Accent, Lawreys Season Salt and Lemon Pepper.

I like to buy whole cryovaced loins from Costco, I believe they were from Swift. I cut a 4" to 5" roast off of each end and then slice the center loin to the thickness I want. I'll have to get the exact prices later to show the savings, the whole loin is cheaper per lb. than the price for pork loin roasts and considerably cheaper that center cut chops. So you not only save money, but get to determine how thick you want them.

The 1st pic. is after searing, the 2nd is after they're done and then on the plate.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Aquaticdoc
    Aquaticdoc Posts: 17
    We brined 8 loin chops I cut from a whole Costco loin, each 1.25" to 1.5" for 60 minutes in a brine of brown sugar and salt (3 Tbsp each) and peppercorns in 1.5 Qt. water, rubbed 'em with Emeril Lagasse's Rustic Rub I made from Louisiana Real and Rustic and cooked direct on the grate at 500° 2.5 minutes, rotate 90°, 2.5 min., flip then 2.5min. rotate 90° and another 2.5 min, then off grill and rested for 10 minutes. Easy.

The crust was black, almost, the interior moist, juicy and perfectly tender. Our guests, pork fanatics, said they were the best chops they had ever had. I felt pretty good about 'em also.