Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a turkey tomorrow. Could use some help.

Options
The Roost BBQ
The Roost BBQ Posts: 21
edited February 2012 in Poultry
Planning to smoke a turkey tomorrow. Just from reading the posts on the forum, it sounds like I should consider making a brine and marinating it 1st. Anyone have a good brine receipe and suggestions on steps tp follow?

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    We used the recipe out of BGE cookbook and that was the best turkey we ever made.

Gerhard

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

This is how I do it. No brine. No oil. I spatchcock a 11 or so lb bird the night before and leave uncovered in the fridge (have done many w/o that step). I like Butt Rub or a coffee rub I make on the bird. I cook raised, direct at 375/400. Please cook to temp (but takes about an hour and a half). Very good bird and I will toss on a few extra legs.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    Options
    I have a 10# bird thawing right now for later tonight. Mickey, I'm going to try it your way. Also, I'm finally going to buy some pavers to raise my grid, the spider just doesnt get it high enough for me.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    edited February 2012
    Options

Just get that grill raised to felt and better above felt. On my Large with the adj rig I am a hair over 2 inch above felt. That is my cooking height for raised.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Those looks great, what is the biggest spatchcock turkey do you think you could get on an XL?
  • Mickey
    Options
    Irish Devl if I can suggest you do a couple of small birds at the same time if you need to feed a bunch. At a time of only about 90 min's or so you can do a bunch of bird. ((( IMO ))) the smaller birds have better taste and meat.  By smaller bird talking 10 to 12 lbs.

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    Mickey-will a 13# bird fit on top of AR (using 18 inch egg grid) spatchcocked or do you do it on the 16 inch grid a step down. Took my 13 pounder out of freezer today, cook it next Saturday.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Mickey
    Options
    I use the full size on top of the adj rig and has lots of room. Please get this info from someone in the know. But are you just a few days early pulling that bird?

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    The refrigerator its going into is in the garage and it takes things forever to thaw out there in the winter. If it does thaw quicker, ill cook it up that night. A turkey under two hours is do-able on a weeknight. Its not for company, so day its cooked is flexible. A big thanks for the info & the concern, its appriciated! :)
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • The Roost BBQ
    Options
    We used the recipe out of BGE cookbook and that was the best turkey we ever made.

Gerhard

• The Roost BBQ
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I will probably cook this one without brine. Will probably use one of the DIzzy Pig rubs that I have. Have cooked a lot of various foods on my egg over the years but haven't cooked many turkey's.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Roost I have found it to be a very easy cook. I cook turkey legs all the time now. Will do about 5 or 6 turkeys a year.

• BeefWellington
    Options

Used this on chicken, worked great. Obviously you will need more than 1 gallon for a turkey.

Brine
    1 gallon water
    3/4 c kosher salt
    1/2 c
    sugar
    1 clove garlic
    5 or so fresh sage leaves
    1 T cumin
    1 T black pepper