Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston Butt - Wood CHUNKS or CHIPS?

Options
Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Trying my first boston butt this weekend. Do you prefer wood chunks or wood chips?

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Preference- chunks...either will do the trick though. I like chunks for long cooks and chips for shorter.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I am probably fairly alone here, but I use chips only. I find that it works better for me in terms of too little/too much smoke.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I like chunks, but I can't find fruit woods around me that way.  Only chips, so I use hickory chunks and fruit chips when I make pulled pork.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    doesn't matter. whatever you have will work.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Maybe I should try hickory chunks. I have a cord of chopped hickory on the rack outside. :-?
  • stike
    Options
    i think hickory is the classic pork smokewood.

oak for beef.
  • EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    Options
    I like the chunks better as the smoke seems to last for a longer period.  It only takes a few...
    Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    Try two to three chunks after a couple of hours the meat will not absord any more smoke anyways.  I'll usually throw a handful of chips on too.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Try two to three chunks after a couple of hours the meat will not absord any more smoke anyways.  I'll usually throw a handful of chips on too.

Stike.....have your response ready? This should be a stock file you keep so you just cut and paste when replying to a comment like this.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Stike, Stike, Stike....
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I like chunks, but I can't find fruit woods around me that way. 
    I just ordered chunks from Fruita wood company that arrived yesterday.  I bought 10lbs each of pecan, apple, and peach.  It's not cheap (their prices include shipping), but upon inspection the quality looks good. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Ragtop - I had seen this on the internet in the past, and the reason I hadn't bought is because the price seemed to high -  as you state above.  I can buy chip bags for $5-6 per, so pretty happy with that and get hickory chunks for cheap as well.  If I ever saw them for a reasonable price online I would get them though. 
  • stike
    Options
    no help from mighty quinn or chubbs i see.

thanks guys. here's what you were waiting for

@mimaulker:  meat does not absorb smoke to any real degree.  it will be flavored by smoke as long as there is smoke.  ...at any time during the cook.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Stike- Sorry.....I would only be rehashing what I've read on here from you, and don't want to get into a pissing match with someone who disagrees with that point and end up where I can't speak intelligently to back any of it up.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    I like chunks, but I can't find fruit woods around me that way. 
    I just ordered chunks from Fruita wood company that arrived yesterday.  I bought 10lbs each of pecan, apple, and peach.  It's not cheap (their prices include shipping), but upon inspection the quality looks good. 

I thought the price was not bad, $33 for an assortment of 3 woods. 15 lbs. total delivered to your door, and the wood was beautiful. They custom cut each order and are very helpful on the phone.
    George