Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire grate upgrade

gtk10583
gtk10583 Posts: 77
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried one of these fire grate upgrades from High-que.com:

http://www.high-que.com/b/2992528011

Just wondering if its worth the $$ and if it really does a better job than the cast iron grate that comes with the BGE.

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Alot of people on here love them, I just haven't seen the need for them yet. Plus I think lump will fall through.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • I use the BGE cast iron. Works very well.
    Living the good life in MACDonna
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379

I like mine...helps with higher temp cooks. The CI grate clogged too much for me but, you probably do loose some lump "before it's time"

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • OK, I am all ears now because mine does the same thing. Please explain the SS Hi Q thing?

• I did not see one for the XL?
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I have them on my two larges, small and mini.  Love them for high temp cooking and low & slow.  You can throw your wiggle rod away or straighten it out and make a marshmellow roaster, you just won't need it any more.  Yes, there are small pieces that fall through but they still burn, heat rises and lump's cheap.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379

Hi Q has replacement that looks like almost like a grill grate for 32 bucks that put a stop to the clogging for me. i just look at it as an accessory us it for pizza cooks and CI for slow.

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • It looks like I am out of luck. I don't see one for the XL?

• If you have a Hi Que grate, is there any advantage to using a similar set up to the Primo style grate where you can put a divider into the grate therefore allowing you to put your lump on one side and then basically you are cooking indirect. Just wondering?? :-w
    Large, small, and a mini
  • I called a spokewith Dave. He said at tis time not for the XL BGE. He is worried about a flame up? He sais he's working on the problem. Oh well.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    30+
    I've seen others post that the holes on the XL are bigger than the holes used in the smaller sized Eggs.  I like the wire grate design better than the BGE design, but so far no problems with airflow.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • That's just what he told me. ??????

• I use the CI that came with never had any problems just thought the other grate looked better.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You have so many more and larger holes than the rest of the family of Eggs. Should be alright on air.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2012

That's just what he told me. ??????

As I recall, your Egg is more than a decade old.  Maybe BGE enlarged the holes since you bought yours?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • MIne is 11 years, I go to the store and take my inch stick and see? Never thouht of that but I't worth it.

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    I have had my high que in a large egg for three weeks now. Have been lighting my lump from under the grid using newspaper with a little cooking oil on it. I find the egg gets up to cooking temps quicker and as posted by bowhunr I have not had a need for a wiggle rod. I did a little searching and from what I've read, it is better to not stir your used lump as you can cause some of the smaller pieces to fall through and just pour a little fresh lump on top. The design of the grate allows the ash to fall through on its own. The only pieces of lump I find when I clean out the ash are only about the size of a fingernail and they are very few in number. I have also been cleaning out the ash after every cook (takes less than a minute) as the posts I read said anything that falls through during a cook will burn as long as it didn't fall into a pile of old ashes. I am very happy with my purchase, but the $32 price gave me pause before I ordered it.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    well worth the money. especially for size medium and lower. basically you can't clog this one, my bge grate clogged all the time, no matter how i built the fire. no wiggle rod, no cleanup. I can just toss fresh lump in on top of the burnt stuff and clean out the ashe
  • I have gone back and forth on whether or not to get one for my large, my two concerns are the amount of ash and lump that falls thru the grate(clean out more often) and the additional heat lower in the egg, I have my large in a wood table with a paver stone under it, the stone is on a 2x grid, no flat boards under the stone, but still worry about excess heat. Has any user seen a hotter nest?

Joe

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487

Has any user seen a hotter nest?

Joe

No, not at all.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • I love mine.  Worth the money, unless you can make your own.
  • EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    I have a Hi Que grate in my large and love it.  At my altitude I need all the help I can get for air to the fire for high heat cooks.  The grate made all the difference.  I notice no difference in cooking low and slow.  Plus if you are using a lump that creates a lot of ash it falls out much better...

I would highly recommend it over the stock cast grate.  My cast grate was about to fall apart anyway, it had cracks going every direction between all the holes!
    Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg