Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lets talk scallops.

Options
travisstrick
travisstrick Posts: 5,002
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have seen quite a bit of scallop posts on here lately and wanted to put up a little public service announcement. Among other ways, scallops are divided into two groups. "Wet and dry", the "dry" are natural and are just as nature grew them, the "wet" have been treated with a preservative chemical. 

The "wet" scallops contain up to 30% water and do not sear very well. The chemical also imparts a kind of soapy flavor. When I worked in a seafood market in college, all the top chefs would only accept "dry" scallops for their restaurants. In my experience, when you ask a server or chef which kind they serve, you normally get the dumb look as they don't know what you are talking about. Assume they serve "wet" if they don't know. 

This vid give a good explination. I hope this helps with ya'lls future cooks. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Wow !  I had no idea !!!!  Thanks, Travis.

I usually buy my scallops at Whole Foods.  Wouldn't you think they sell the dry kind?

This is good info.  Thanks again.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    Options
    Not nessasarly, If you are cooking the scallops in a wet environment like a soup or stew, the wet are usually fine and even better due to price. If, however, you are searing or Q'ing them, you defiantly want the dry. Even the wet ones are pretty expensive so buying them at Whole Foods isn't always going to ensure what ones you get. 

If the guy at the counter doesn't know, you can ask to see the tub or can they came in. It will almost always say either "dry packed" or it will say nothing about dry or wet but, will have "tri sodium poly phosphate" on the container. 
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    edited February 2012
    Options

Travis,

Thanks for the info about scallops - good stuff.  I suppose that the scallops I cooked last evening, which were purchased at Sam's, were the "wet" kind.  I want to know more the "preservative chemical".

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Travis, Did you run that past VI or Tweev before posting that info? :D
    LET'S EAT
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Travis, Did you run that past VI or Tweev before posting that info? :D
    Huh?  You're putting me in the same category as Tweeve?  I am not worthy of cleaning the ashes out of his Egg.  I am not worthy of putting the cap on and closing the vent after his cook is through.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    ill use the wet in a chowder only if they are the tiny bay scallops, that bitter taste with big wet scallops is absolutely disgusting. dry is also called day scallops in some areas
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Good post Travis :ar!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    Learn something new everyday...My last scallop cook was definitely the 'wet' variety.
  • mustgrill
    Options
    Diver scallops are a good way to go if you can find them? If your land locked maybe not?
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    Excellent information. Thanks.
  • scooter759
    Options
    My experience has been that either "Diver Scallops" or "Wild Caught" have been the best for searing.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • scooter759
    Options

Just to clarify, I am only referring to sea scallops. Try them with Chang Mai Fish and Fowl seasoning, outstanding!

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    I had no idea. Thanks Travis. Bet there aren't to many stores out there selling the dry.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Once you have had wet and dry sea scallops seared, you will be able to tell the difference. 

• Village Idiot
    Options
    I've started a new mantra.

"Once you've had dry, you'll never go back."

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• losttree
    Options
    My local fish monger almost always has wet scallops and labels them as
    "scallops".  They sometimes also have dry scallops and label them as "dry
    scallops".  We only buy dry after trying to get a good sear on wet scallops during our first scallop cook.  Seared dry scallops are a family favorite around here. 
    Adam
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    That's a great post.  I did not know that.  Thanks
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY