Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the Gasket the only Flaw?

JMSetzler
JMSetzler Posts: 75
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
In my quest to purchase a big green egg, all the reading I have done leads me to believe that the gasket is probably the only 'flaw' on the entire system.  I'm reading a lot of material about gasket replacements.  Apparently high temp cooks damage that gasket and require a replacement with a higher quality gasket that can withstand the high temps better. 

Is this something that should be done immediately on the purchase of a new egg?  What should I plan to buy to replace the gasket on a large egg?

Comments

• My gasket burned off and I have not replaced it. I don't miss it at all. If I was going to replace it, I would suggest doing it when the egg is new and not put together yet. I think the Rutland and Nomex gaskets are popular. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I have been through a lot of bags of charcoal since getting my BGE - gasket has done fine for me - no probs.   If and when it goes - I will probably do as Travis has done, see if I miss it before I install one of the aftermarket gaskets.

Cookin in Texas
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948

Flaw might be a bit strong. It wears out for sure but lots of things need maintenance/repair over time. There have been some issues with gaskets burning out on first use which is a defect. Anyway, I do think there is a design opportunity here for BGE to make it better, last longer and easier to change out. I'm sure they have thought of several options but since nothing has changed, I guess it is too expensive. 

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • My egg is only a few weeks old - the felt gasket burned off while I was prepping for a overnight brisket.  I was calibrating thermometers after I started my egg and when I came back it was hot.  Without a gasket, I had the brisket on for 18 hours w/ no problems holding temperature.  I did notice smoke leaking out from where my probe wires came out but that didn't affect the cook.  I'm only running a maverick (no temperature control blower), so the temperature held on its own w/o much interference on my part.

The mother ship will send you a Nomex gasket when your original felt gasket fails - so you can always try that. 

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379

I put a NOMEX gasket on mine and couldnt be happier...after burning two up cooking pizza.Part of my problem was platesetter was in the egg the wrong way. The NOMEX is much better in my opinion. Changing them is a chore

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    "In my quest to purchase a big green egg, all the reading I have done
    leads me to believe that the gasket is probably the only 'flaw' on the
    entire system."

Yeah, its the weak link. It can be irksome to have one melt or fall off early on. And at the least, with regular use, the eventually just burn away. I've got one that is part gone right now, and will be replaced once the weather warms up. Till then, it just takes a little more fuss to keep low temperatures right where I want them.

I haven't minded doing the replacement, only take 20 minutes, but do have the somewhat more durable Nomex gasket on-hand for the next change.

Some people have commented that the hi-que gasket is better. No one who has used the Rutland fiberglass gasket has ever posted about a failure. Likewise, some people have gone with a liquid copper bottom gasket (I forget the brand) and a Cotronics ceramic top gasket($), and there has been no report of failure.

The only other thing most folks complain about is that the platesetter should be part of the initial ensemble. They are not necessary, but are so useful that most people buy one eventually.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I'm new to the Egg, but mine is in good shape, having survived visits to 650*.  I don't let the lid slam, but I like that the gasket cushions the top when I set it down.  When my XL heats up, the springs don't offer as much resistance and the top is heavy.

Not a flaw, per se, but set aside a little cash for accessories because most people need them to take full advantage of the grill's capabilities.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Thanks for the feedback.  I'll probably just go with the OEM gasket until it fails and then look into the Nomex or one of the other options.  I do plan to buy either a plate setter or possibly one of the adjustable rigs along with the new egg when the time comes. 

Thanks to everyone!  This site has been truly helpful in my quest.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    JMS, one other things to consider, not a flaw, but consider.  What size egg are you getting?  If Lg, OK, nearly all accessories are also built for a large.  If other sized, you won't get near the amount of accessories as the large.  I have the XL and I have no complaints, nearly everything additional I want is available (for the most part).  I heard some complaints in the past about Medium and small not having many additions.  Those with the med and small should chime in, I don't have, but I had heard this in the past.  They would be able to ya or nay what I wrote.   
  • I Love my platesetter and use it all the time. The only draw back is the storage of it.
    LET'S EAT
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2012
    The adjustable rig will not come from your Egg dealer. Talk to Tom www.ceramicgrillstore.com   I am not in the platesetter camp and have two for dif size eggs..... I like the adj rig and spieder with pizza stone or just a pan.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I am new here as well and recently got a smoking deal on an Egg. Thought it was a large. Just discovered its a medium. No big deal $125 was a scream of a deal. Have discovered that there are limited options for accessories though. Only one setup I can get from Tom at CGS. Going to order a Woo soon though! Just gonna have to save up for a bigger one next year :-)
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • I plan to buy the large BGE.  I have looked at the ceramic grill store and I'm still deciding what I want to do about the plate setter or one of the adjustable rig racks. 
  • Adjustable rig/spider setup here, with a Rutland gasket...couldn't be happier.
  • Is this something that should be done immediately on the purchase of a new egg? 
    I would definitely replace it before I even assembled the egg.   You'll have to do it eventually, why not do it while it's apart.  Scrape the felt gasket off the base and the lid and put a Rutland gasket on with Permatex Ultra Copper, on just one (either the base or the lid).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    i would also add the high que grate to a list of the must haves. I can already hear the haters saying no, but i've determined that no matter how much care i spent building my fire, it was less likely to clog or put itself out with the high que. That really matters towards the last couple hours of a 20 hour cook.
  • How difficult is it to remove the OEM gasket?
  • Is this something that should be done immediately on the purchase of a new egg? 
    I would definitely replace it before I even assembled the egg.   You'll have to do it eventually, why not do it while it's apart.  Scrape the felt gasket off the base and the lid and put a Rutland gasket on with Permatex Ultra Copper, on just one (either the base or the lid).
    That's probably a good idea.  Mine fried on a high temp cook, and it seemed to be welded on in places.  Instructions for new gaskets always tell you to get the surface completely clean by using Acetone, etc.  I scraped, acetoned it, etc. but couldn't get it completely clean.  However, the new nomex stuck with no problems.  

If I had done it before frying the gasket, I'm sure it would have been a lot easier.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

My warranty clearly says the gasket is not a warranty covered item.

Why does mothership replace them or is there a difference between a U.S. and Canadian warranties?

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Hey JMS- I bought the plate setter with the egg and used it often. I then up-graded to adjustable rig/spider and got the 13 inch and 16 inch stones from Tom at CGS. Haven't used plate setter since. If you are going to take the plunge and get a rig i'd recommend saving yourself $50 on the plate setter. As far as replacing the gasket it really wasn't all that tough but waiting the recommended time before firing up the egg again was :)
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • My warranty clearly says the gasket is not a warranty covered item.

Why does mothership replace them or is there a difference between a U.S. and Canadian warranties?

The quality of the gasket material is not what it used to be. When the problem was noted they were shipping the new eggs with a loose nomex gasket and adhesive.  BGE Canada will, or should send one out on a premature failure.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    How difficult is it to remove the OEM gasket?
    I've only done it when damaged. I use a regular propane torch, and aim the fire on the most damaged portion. Then, with a putty knife, I lift the gasket up as I move around the rims. Most of the time, I can get a few inches up every few seconds. At worst, I just burn it away. Then its just a matter of scraping away adhesive residue, and rubbing some alcohol along the edge to clean a little more.

I don't remove the dome. Its only a little awkward working upside down.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I bought an XL for around $1200 with some accessories.  If this same machine was $1225-1250 with a real gasket, I am all in, no questions asked.  Get rid of the zero (original gasket), get with the hero (legitimate gasket).    
  • Egts
    Egts Posts: 27
    There is no reason to not use the original gasket. I got an XL just before Christmas and have run 60 pounds of charcoal through it and the gasket is just fine. You're not out anything by using the OEM gasket. It is not hard to change it out if it fails.
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    I've never had a problem with mine either. I bring my egg up to 700 all the time. The PITA of changing the gasket has stopped me from getting a pizza stone so far though.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I definitely think it just depends on the egg. Some (gaskets that is) are going to give out really soon and some are not. My brother has had a medium for 4 years and frequently cooks pizzas and other high temp cooks like searing steaks, etc. He still has the original gasket on his. My cousin on the other hand is so protective of his egg. Cleans it perfectly after every cook, etc. His gasket burned off on the second cook. It's the luck of the draw I think. BGE knows that and stands by their product. Bottom line is the gaskets appear to be easy to replace and we have seen by this thread that BGE will replace a gasket. So, I say have fun, cook what you want how you want and if the gasket fails replace with a better gasket.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Fried my mediums gasket within the first month. Have had my new mini up over 800 twice and above 600 a dozen or so times and the factory gasket is fine...i don;t understand  Put a Rutland on the medium and have had the factory dome thermometer lap 200(not intentional) without issue.
  • The one true flaw is how good this thing works. You stay covered up all summer cooking for your friends who demand you have a BBQ. OH! well that may not be a flaw. No the gasket not even a flaw.
    Living the good life in MACDonna
  • The  BGE brand Thermometer does not hold up.  It's not waterproof, expensive, and loses its calibration.  I used to use the old Weber Kettle or Genisus thermometers and they were great, however, they are hard to find.  Any ideas?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    The  BGE brand Thermometer does not hold up.  It's not waterproof, expensive, and loses its calibration.  I used to use the old Weber Kettle or Genisus thermometers and they were great, however, they are hard to find.  Any ideas?
    PRS, do you ever move the thermometer when cooking? For example, some people like to turn it so their desired cook temp reads at 12:00 (straight up). My opnion is when you move this thing around it loosens the nut on the back therefore resulting in a need to recalibrate. My brother moves his and always has to recalibrate. I have never touched mine (except to remove for calibration)and mine has been fine. Clearly, only my opinion, but makes sense in my mind.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013