Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

butt injection recipe anyone?

Options
smokinsooner
smokinsooner Posts: 161
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking about 35lbs of pork shoulder next week, and could use a good injection concoction! (A lot of it too)
Also, for the pork experts... Will I need to rotate butts on an AR? (top to bottom). Will cook time be longer than cooking just on the bottom grid w/ a plate setter?
Thanks on advance for the advice!
BOOMER!

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

Lots of folks use apple juice with or without a fine ground rub.

I like to mix apple juice with either mango or peach juice for mine.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • gulfegg
    Options
    Careful that any spices you add don't clog your injection needle. Pepper is bad unless you have a lg industrial injector. Below is Chris Lilly's recipe and his record speaks for itself. This is for one 8# butt, I suck up what oozes out and keep reinjecting until it's all in. I've seen him do it and more is better than less.
    3/4 cup apple juice
    1/2 c water
    1/2 c sugar- white
    1/4 c table salt
    2 tbsp Worcester sauce
    Combine and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.
    Roll Tide Roll!
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Is it a good quality pork butt? If yes, then don't worry about an injection, just give a rub and it will be fine.  Like butter when the temp hits 200 or so.  I don't think injections do anything if you have a nice quality of meat.