Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

who has a pasta maker??

Options
smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited February 2012 in Pork
Do any of you have a pasta maker, if so are you happy with it, and what brand are you using. Is there some extras that I should consider??? 
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    We have a Kitchenaid mixer and a pasta attachment.  It is easy to use and does a great job.  We pretty much always make the pasta for lasagne and have made some really good ravioli several times.  When we make lasagne and made too much dough we make the remainder into spaghetti type noodle.  Lasagne and homemade focaccia is one our favourite meals.

Gerhard
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
     Italian made pasta maker (Imperia). There are some cheaper ones but this one is made very well and works very well. I bought it on Amazon i believe
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • mustgrill
    Options
    I have an Atlas but I have not used it in years. There was a period I did all my pasta but not so much now. The Atlas is manual and works great. Google Atlas pasta maker.
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Had two different ones, many years ago.  After a few times, we stopped using them.
    Effort + mess > enjoyment.

Maybe new ones are better.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I'd used an Atlas for many years, but you really need three hands (infeed, outfeed, crank).  I debated between getting the motor for the Atlas, or the pasta attachment for my KitchenAid Gerhardk mentioned (they were approximately the same price).  Went with the KitchenAid and am very glad I did.  Once advantage is the pasta rollers are about 12" high off the countertop, love the extra room to let the dough hang before I need to grab the sheet with my hand.  I make the dough in my Kitchenaid food processor, takes less than a minute.  
    You can buy pasta extruders that mix the dough and then push it thru dies to make many more shapes, but I find the rollers method to be almost therapeutic, really enjoy making it.  
    Now I'm hungry for pasta!    

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Little Steven
    Options
    I have the Atlas as well and went with the motor. Agree with Botch about the hand crank

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Here's a video of the KitchenAid rollers in use (I don't know why that doofus has the bowl on the mixer, it just gets in the way).

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• gerhardk
    edited February 2012
    Options
    We made pasta about a month ago and took a video while we made it.  We boil the lasagne noodles before use because if you don't you can get an unpleasant raw flour flavour in the centre of the lasagne.

Gerhard

http://youtu.be/6OhpL5EG4lE
  • nineee
    nineee Posts: 41
    Options
    I have an Imperia that I bought from Amazon.  I researched manual pasta makers and watched a few youtubes before buying.  I've been very satisfied with it.  Made lots of spaghetti and even used it for pierogi.  Nina in KY
  • Little Steven
    Options

flour, flavour, centre

Freakin Canuck spelling

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    edited February 2012
    Options
    How do you spell flour in America?
  • Little Steven