Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Test Lab

Options
Big Green Eggs & Huffman
edited February 2012 in Pork
I just started the process of testing out different methods of preparing a Pork Butt.  I hear people discuss different type of preparing them, whether it was on this forum, at the BBQ store, or picking out meat at Sam's club (great place to by Pork Butt's and Whole Briskets by the Case).  I wanted to keep a couple of things the same on all four.  The rub is the same, Rudy's Rub, and the method of storing is the same, vacuum sealing for 48 hrs.  I am using 2 different types of marinade, Butcher BBQ and Hogwash.  2 of the butts I am rubbing in yellow mustard.  This is my first time using yellow mustard.  I heard so many people rave about how it leaves such a great bark on the butt. 

I guess my main goal is to find which marinade is better and if using yellow mustard is the cat's meow.  I have tried other Rubs before but Rudy's just keeps pulling me back.  I ended up using 2 and a half bottle of rub.    I plan on smoking Saturday evening using an even mixture of Hickory, Cherry, and Apple Chunks.  Using a Digi Q, maintain a temperature of either 225 or 240 degrees, not sure yet.
1. Rudy's Rub, Butcher Marinade

2. Rudy's Rub, Butcher Marinade, Yellow Mustard

3. Rudy's Rub, Hogwash

4. Rudy's Rub, Hogwash, Yellow Mustard

Comments