Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone try Kroger brand lump

Options
gtk10583
gtk10583 Posts: 77
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just bought an 8.8# bag of lump at Kroger for $6.39. Anyone try this? Nakedwhiz.com has no review on it.

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    I hear its the exact same as Royal Oak. Both made by the exact same factory. The only diff is the bag. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    FWIW-I have been using the Kroger version of RO for the better part of the past year.  Largest lump size may be a bit smaller than the BGE version in part due to the 8.8 vs 20 lb bag size, but not enough to be an issue.  Does well with long duration low&slows (LBGE and have loaded into the fire ring and sustained 22+ hr cooks (250*F or so on the dome) with plenty left over).  No issues but then I'm not into over-analyzing lump performance either.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Unable to find RO in my area,But what I am using is doin pretty good for me. Full Circle in an 8.8lb bag. 1 8.8 fits in my XL after a full clean out.
    LET'S EAT
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Been using it since I got my Egg. Good results, not too smokey. Same as RO or BGE.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings