Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stir fry

Comments

• Do you have any knowledge or an opinion on SS woks?
  • No offense, Quinn, but I hate anything SS.  It tends to stick and is hell to clean.

I even hate SS knives.  Carbon steel is the only way to go IMHO.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Gary,

I meant the CI is OK but the carbon steel is better IMHO, even though I didn't say it well

Cheers

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• None taken......I don't own one, just wondering.
  • hawkegg
    hawkegg Posts: 97
    edited February 2012
    I have owned my large for almost 5 years and my medium for almost 2.  I love everything that comes off of them but have never tried wok cooking.  I ordered a wok a couple of weeks ago from the ceramic grill store and this post put me over the top to try my hand at it.  Let me say I love it.  I made cashew chicken with village idiots recipe he provided a link to and man was it good.  My wife thinks so to.  All I can say is thank you village idiot for your advise!!!  Here are some pics.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    VI, I see the alcohol next to your egg. Do you always light with it or only when using the wok. Your fire in that video was pretty solid. I don't think I have had one like that yet. Perhaps a product of the alcohol?

Have you ever used a long handle wok? I have a Typhoon non stick Hot Wok for inside and wondering if I should get one like yours for the egg or roll with the one I have.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    @hawkegg. Very nice looking Cashew Chicken, my friend.  Looks like you nailed it on the first try.

@Chubbs.  I normally start my fire with 91% isopropyl alcohol from Walmart.  It's about $2.50 for a quart.  Lights very easily and the byproduct is carbon dioxide ... no chemical taste or smell.  I don't think it makes the fire any hotter, but I like it better than any other method I've tried. 

As far as your non-stick wok, Food Writer and retired chemistry professor, Robert Wolke wrote: "Non stick cookware is indeed horrible for stir frying because when the juices coagulate from the heat, they don't stick to the pan and brown there, producing all of those wonderful brown flavors". And author Barbara Tropp wrote: "Stir frying with teflon is like trying to boil an egg in a steamer, the nature of the cooking vessel is inimical to the task."

I just bought a long handle wok from The Wok Shop (carbon steel) because I'm going to do some deep frying at the Salado Eggfest (wontons and crab rangoon), and I wanted more control when I take it off the fire.  I've seasoned it, but haven't cooked with it yet.  It may become my favorite wok.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• This thread belongs in the hall of fame. I wonder exactly how many of us will buy a wok due to this discussion. 
    Mark me down as one.. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    I've come to the conclusion that the price of the Egg is the down payment; it's all the necessary and desirable bells and whistles that represent the real cost.
    Gary makes a compelling case for wokking and I am all in. Having gained too much weight from having too much fun with red meat on the egg I'm anxious to try the wok. Now gotta clear off a kitchen shelf for a new collection of spices, oils, and sauces.
    Thanks Gary,you've won over a lot of fans.

If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • Chubbs
    So, Gary, the consensus is accidentally misplace the wife's wok and get one from one of the proposed sites. Grab one out of the same material as yours for proper "woking" but grab a long handle like mine for versatility and control.

Hell it's only plastic (credit card). Keep the eggsessories coming. Egging has converted me from a neat freak with no junk to a pack rack!! I will soon have more eggsessories than shirts!!

Excited about this Gary. I have added a line item in my budget for "Egg"
  • Chubbs
    @VI what size wok are you using with the spider in the video? About to order one.
  • Chubbs,

On my large BGE, I have a 16 inch wok, and that is what I used in the video.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• I should have quit with my first stir fry!  Cut the chicken wrong!  Did not dsso the veggies long enough, melted new plastic lid because I left it to close to the fire!  Not enough seasoning, no onions etc.  This stir fry was a lot to endure!  No fun at all.

• Village Idiot
    edited February 2012
    Bama.  Not to worry.  You learned a lot.  Next time, it will work.  Next time, you will cut the chicken right, you'll cook the veggies long enough, you will keep the plastic lid away from the fire, and you will add enough seasoning and onions.

I really like the story about Thomas Edison.

Thomas Edison actually had 3,000 attempts to create the lightbulb. When asked about the failures he said "I didn't fail 3,000 times. I found 3,000 ways how not to create a lightbulb"

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• VI,

What are you looking for to know if your veggies are "done".  I seem to just stir and stir and hope for the best.  I did cook the chicken in two batches this time.  Do you add extra oil?  I added some after the chicken because there appeared to be none left.

You need to put a shingle out that says;  "the doctor is in"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • hahaha.  I'm no doctor, and certainly not an expert.  I learned something from my Kung Pao Shrimp cook last night.  I think I should have added the chile peppers when I put in the garlic to free up the essence more.  I'll do that next time.

I don't think the timing on the veggies is super critical.  Cooked too little, and you might get a more crunchy taste: too much and it might be a little soft, yet tasty.  You've cooked a lot of meals where it says to cook the onions until translucent.  I'd say it's about the same here, maybe a little less.

If your oil is gone and you need to cook more chicken, by all means, add a little more oil (like 1 tablespoon?).

I hope that helps.  Don't give up.  You're 90% there !!!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• what size wok and spider for an XL EGG? Also would love to have it by Valentines day as well
  • What if the all the oil is gone when you are ready to fry the veggies?
  • what size wok and spider for an XL EGG? Also would love to have it by Valentines day as well
    I got an 18" wok for x-mas (not sure where it came from).  I bought the XL spider from ceramic grill store.  I was hoping they'd work together but wasn't sure when I ordered the spider.  Turns out it worked perfect.  The wok sits in the spider ring about half way up the wok.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Stir Fry Tonight - it was the bomb!.  Used the spider and wok.  Chicken and Shrimp. Great neighbors came over and made an event out of it all.  Got the egg to about 800 degrees, chicken first, add the veggies, then the shrimp. A great bottle of vino topped it off. We all had a great time.

Elmer Fudd.

Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • I have the wok and spider. Received it as a gift for Christmas but haven't used it yet. These pics tell me I need to get on it and quit wasting time! This looks like dam good food....and fun!
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • Get on it. The veggies were a bag of frozen from Costco then chop up the chicken, cut the tails off the shrimp, add some onion, garlic and appropriate spices. Really easy and quite impressive..... And damn tasty.

Elmer Fudd
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • Wow, this thread has opened up a whole new dimension in egg cooking for me! Looks like I'll be ordering a spider/wok setup this weekend :) I suppose that spider upside down would be a good raised grid solution as well?

One question, when building the fire for a wok cook, are you guys closing the bottom vent when you get up to temp or leaving it open? I have seen it described both ways in a few other stir fry threads... 

• WOW!!!! Thanks VI, loved the video. Don't have a wok,,,,,,,, yet, but that will change and it will be your fault  :)>- That's what I will tell my wife, then she can't get upset at me. Will you back me??
    Seriously, thanks for taking the time and doing the video.
    Cheers.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Village Idiot
    edited February 2012
    @skotdee.  I leave the bottom vent wide open.  I want the fire as hot as I can get it.

@smokesniffer.  Tell your wife that if you don't get a wok, I'm going to send my friends, Guido and Joseppe, to pay you a visit....... Signed Villagia "Singed Eyebrows" Idiotelli.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Anyone around Jacksonville Know of place to get a spider and a wok without ordering one??
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Just cleaned and re-seasoned my old wok that was rarely used. I'm gonna try this setup and hopefully it will work. Think its a 14 inch with a flat bottom. Have it placed on regular grid with a wok ring to get it up where the handle would clear. Wondering if the handle will handle the heat? It can be removed. If not, may have to spring for one without the wooden handles.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I haven't following this thread that closely - started looking this afternoon - now I am hooked.

Gary - thank you for taking the time to do the video.   Was exetremely helpful and informative.   I am convinced I need to get a wok and try this.

Cookin in Texas
  • I don't know about your handle but I have first hand knowledge what happens if you leave a "brand new" plastic lid on a container your wife just purchased to close to a full blown fire on the wok.  Guess the answer.  Hint; starts with a big M!

Phil
  • Chubbs
    @VI, the more I look at your video the more I am impressed with how easy you make stir fry look in the wok on the egg. As I told you tonight is my first run of it. I hope I can get my fire like that. I seem to only burn the middle of my lump when I cook. You think I should use your alcohol method when stir frying?