Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill grate

Options
leechrg
leechrg Posts: 27
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone used these? Thought these are interesting....

http://www.grillgrate.com/

Comments

• Tank_NZ
    Options
    I can see how they could be useful on a gas grill - but not so much on an egg.

The BGE doesn't normally have much of a flare up issue, does sear marks etc without issue.

Just another gadget would be my guess.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I know a guy that has one and swears by it on the egg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tank_NZ
    Options
    I know a guy that has one and swears by it on the egg
    What are the advantages he sees?
  • John Ross
    Options
    There was a guy who had a picture of one on his egg, on the BGE Facebook page, it looked like a very nice fit.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I have the two panel kit (comes with a grill tool for using with the grates) and an extra panel....so basically the 3 panel kit never used...only time out of the box was to see how they fit on the egg.

They are the rectangular model meant for a gasser, but still work on a round grill like the BGE. The dimensions of the three together are 15.25" x 13.75....I have a large Egg and only two will fit...a little of the corners hang over the edge with three so all three wont work on a large...not sure what the surface are of an XL is, but would think three would fit based on how close it is on the large.

If anyone wants them, shoot me a message and we can work something out...
  • Little Steven
    Options
    It's Spring Chicken. I think he comes here sometimes

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options
    Love mine. I use it all the time. Advantages? Their web site does a great job listing them and it is accurate.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I bought them at Eggtoberfest 2 years ago. They have them that fit the large Egg perfectly. They are made just for the Egg. I have really enjoyed them. I can easily recommend them. Like Salty said, their website is accurate on the advantages of them.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I just went to the website, read the homepage and watched one of the videos, and I gotta say, that seems completely silly to me.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• The store where I buy all my BBQ stuff just got some in for BGE.  They seemed a little pricey.  If any one is in the Appleton area.  BBQ Pits N Spits they have mostly everything you need.  They also just got in a cold smoking device that fits on BGE, for smoking cheese.
  • Maybe I'll wait and hopefully find and infomercial on these.  Because if I act now, they through in a deluxe grilling apron FREE...haha
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited February 2012
    Options
    It seems that those who have them are satisfied w/ them, but here was a discussion on them w/ some alternative views to consider as well:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1136313/grill-grates

Armed w/ knowledge, hopefully you can make the decision as to what works best for you!!

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • abacobrad
    abacobrad Posts: 12
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Brad here from GrillGrate.  We have lots of happy Egger's and I am one of them :-)  Lots of comp teams use them with the BGE too- mostly for chicken.   Now for steaks- that's a home run!  The USA Cook Team from Texas  alone has won over TEN 1st or 2nd in past 3 years!  The radiating effect really does grill food better and the sizzle up of juices hitting the valleys is a big flavor boost too.  Photo worthy sear markets are the cherry on this sundae!  Love the BGE and my GG! image
    Brad B. BGEL, Weber Kettle, Refurbished old Charbroil commercial
  • chrisnjenn
    Options
    Brad here from GrillGrate.  We have lots of happy Egger's and I am one of them :-)  Lots of comp teams use them with the BGE too- mostly for chicken.   Now for steaks- that's a home run!  The USA Cook Team from Texas  alone has won over TEN 1st or 2nd in past 3 years!  The radiating effect really does grill food better and the sizzle up of juices hitting the valleys is a big flavor boost too.  Photo worthy sear markets are the cherry on this sundae!  Love the BGE and my GG! image

Love your product and everyone I know who actually owns it loves it also.
  • abacobrad
    Options
    Thanks!  Happy customers is what made BGE what it is today- a grrrrrate role model for me!
    Brad B. BGEL, Weber Kettle, Refurbished old Charbroil commercial