Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of getting an Egg - is bigger better?

Options
Bigfoot
Bigfoot Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A co-worker has mercilessly thrust the idea of replacing my great barrell type smoker with an Egg (seems ashame to replace a perfectly good smoker - but I can find a way to justify just about anything to myself). I understand there is a new XL Egg out there - is bigger always better? I was thinking about getting the Large - But hey there is an XL out there - is there any advantage other than pure cooking space? Is there a disadvantage to getting the XL? Any insight is appreciated!

Comments

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    Bigfoot,
    Just my 2 cents here, cause I do no have an XLBGE. I would get a large. I have a large and a small, and use my large most of the time. It heats up fast, is very efficient in my opinion, and is a very versatile cooker. Would you be getting rid of your other cooker, or just adding to the collection? I believe with a large and your other cooker, you will not be short of cooking space. There you go, my opinion, for what it is worth(at least what you paid for it)
    Seth

• Unknown
    Options
    Bigfoot,[p]At the Texas Egg Fest last weekend, I heard from the BBQ Outfitters guys and the BGE rep that they don't have all the bugs worked out of the XLBGE yet. Most notably, the springs aren't strong enough to hold the lid open. Now that would be a real problem.

• egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Options
    Bigfoot,
    I have a large and a small, a great combo. I can't say anything about the XL yet, I have not seen one.[p]As for space, I cook for a small family of 3, there is never a problem on the large for just us. Sometimes we have the inlaws over, then I may run out of space on the large. Cooking several racks of ribs using the 3-1-1 method can get tight. If you like turking on T-Day, then you may have to modify your grid setup and roasting pan if the bird is 17#- 22#.

• Unknown
    Options
    Bigfoot,[p]I'm a new egger having just got a large BGE at the Texas Egg Fest. That said, on Sunday I smoked enough ribs for 7 people using a rib rack, 9 if you count the sample a took to my neighbor who helped me move the egg to my deck. They came out great. I imagine if you get a grid extender the large will be fine. But the XL is impressive.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,790
    Options
    Bigfoot,
    another option instead of the XL is a large/small combo. more options with 2 eggs

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    Bigfoot,
    I concur with the group, but I also have a Large - and we haven't heard from XL owners yet. I have plenty of space in mine with the grid extender to cook plenty of food for a group. [p]I know my next BGE will be a small, so I have plenty of versatility using both together on cooks.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    That problem was a simple fix and it is done. The new springs are more than adequate for the job. If you have an XL with this problem, let the mothership in Atlanta know and you'll get your new springs pronto.[p]Jim
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    As an owner of each size, I'd recommend getting the Large or, if money is not an issue, the Large/Small combo as others have suggested. The combo gives you the flexibility of utilizing different cooking temps/methods at the same time. That being said, the XL is a fine choice if you will be cooking mass quantities most of the time. We had about 50 wings (whole,untrimmed) on the main grid of the XL this past weekend. We could have almost doubled that amount with a second grid.[p]Jim
  • Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    Crab leg,[p]THANKS everyone for the tips - I will have to get rid of my old barrel type smoker to get an egg (must keep my Tiki Bar in tact - gotta beverage while smokin ya know) - BUT I do have a large stainless 6 burner natural gas Weber Summit that I love if I need to do a ton of food for a party.[p]I think I am going to pull the trigger tomorrow on the BGE - There is a great online place with a killer price on it (The Fireside Shop). [p]THANKS Eggheads!
  • egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Options
    JSlot,
    mmmmm 50 wings, there's somthing special about chicken wings on the egg, even though I'm not hungry, my mouth is watering