Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Happy with Mini?

Options
Marcusp
Marcusp Posts: 16
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Curious of what everybody thinks of their mini. Still trying to decide if I want to carry a BGE for camping. I feel that I shoul by small BGE but I like the weigh/ size of mini. Want to carry one of these in my Motorhome basement.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

My first Egg was a Small 5 years ago then Large and then Mini. Just the two of us and use the Mini by far most of the time. Found I could get enough for Linda and I on the Mini nearly as much a the Small but enough. So I sold the Small last month and ordered another Large. Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGge_k7FUI

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    Options
    I totally missed out. I would have baught your small.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Sold just before I saw a James Brown called Travis.  You will meet the guy in Salado on March 17th. I have to see what the hell you look like after that picture =D> Oh, stop by the store some day. Travis we will give away 4 Minis March 17th. Oh by the way, are you going to wear a kilt?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mawger
    Mawger Posts: 40
    Options

Marcusp-we do the same thing as you are considering.  We just bought a small Green Egg and love the way we now have to move it.  You can see what our son has designed amd built for us in my avatar picture.  We call it our Egg Carten.  We can move it when it's cooking, when it's hot or not!  So much easier to move into our basement with these handles. And has holes in it so that we can anchor it in the basement. And even gave us a bottle opener on it!  .

Sandy

• Mickey
    Options
    Sandy I talked with your son and looks like he is doing a mini size to show off in Salado.

• hsh750
    hsh750 Posts: 30
    Options
    Sandy is the carten going to be made and sold? I have a small egg and want to take it with us camping. Been looking for something.
  • Mawger
    Options

hsh750 if you email me I will forward your request to our son.  I think he has one small one ready as he made two when he made ours.  lakelewis@gmail.com

Sandy

• Mawger
    Options

Mickey, Sure wish we could be there at the Eggfest. I think he got the measurements today of a mini today. BTW, I'm not your typical little ole gray haired lady.  ha. My hair is silver!  ( He told me what you said. )

Sandy

• Mickey
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Me too Sandy. Thought you were coming.

• Len D
    Len D Posts: 3
    Options
    Curious of what everybody thinks of their mini. Still trying to decide if I want to carry a BGE for camping. I feel that I shoul by small BGE but I like the weigh/ size of mini. Want to carry one of these in my Motorhome basement.
    Last year I went through the exact process that you are going through with respect to a mini vs a small BGE. I phoned and visited several dealers around the Toronto area to actually see the differences but nobody carried one in stock.  After talking to half a dozen dealers I eventually found a dealer with a complete range on display and purchased a mini from him.

The reasons that I purchased a mini are as follows:
    • size- able to easily fit in the basement storage
    • weight - easily moved without fear of dropping and breakage
    • utilization - 95% of our camp cooking is just my wife and me. In addition to the usual hamburgs etc, I have made individual pizzas, pulled pork, flank steak with sides of grilled onions and romaine lettuce.

After a complete camping season on 2011, we found the mini is a perfect fit for our usage. However, if you routinely cook for more people, then a small may be a better solution providing you have the room for carrying it, and the ability to move it without fear of dropping.

Good Luck in your deliberations.

Len

• Mickey
    Options
    Well said Len. Empty nesters or just two people in love (can that be both) the Mini just works fine.