Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Lump I've had yet

paulheels
paulheels Posts: 457
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Its called Western. Got it from Publix. By far the best lump I have seen in my area. Better than BGE brand. Large pieces throughout the bag. The small stuff is comparable to the large stuff in RO. Anyone else used this? Highly recommend going and getting a bag if you have a Publix. $20 for 20lb

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.

Comments

• The PBR really ties the image together.  You, sir, have excellent taste in coal and brew.
  • Rated below average on the Naked Whiz Charcoal database. 

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • @spread, thanks, got MilwaukeesBest Best Premium now

@hog, haven't looked at Whiz's review. When did he review it? Maybe it's changed. This is first time I have seen this brand
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    edited February 2012
    Not sure when he did the review, but here it is:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag24.htm
  • @hog, yeah this looks nothing like the pictures or his review. That was also done in 2003. The stuff I have right now, is purdy good
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    PBR......man that's old school!!  
    ;)

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited February 2012
    call me crazy, but i don't like huge chunks as much as i dislike chips and dust.  might be good for a hot fire, but for a low and slow be careful.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I'm with stike regarding really big pieces of lump, not a big fan. 

Sam's club sells a 20lb bag of lump called "Best of the West".  It has two sizes of lump in it - (1)huge pieces as big as stovewood, (2)chips and dust.  Hardly anything in between.    You get a few pieces that are cordwood size in the egg and they are separated by a lot of empty space - seems to increase the likelihood of a small fire burning itself out.

That's just me - to each is own.
  • I have had no issues with the larger pieces. That's what I have been looking for. This bag doesn't have large and itsy bitsy. Just recOmmending something new to me. Try it or not, just giving some info.
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    edited February 2012
    Heels

In re-reading my posts I have come across as a know-it-all-jerk.  I did not intend to do that and I apologize. 

I have had good luck using big pieces as long as there are plenty of medium and smaller pieces around them to close the gaps. 

One thing I have learned on this forum is that there is more than one way to skin a cat or cook a butt. 

One other thing - I'm all into the PBR, Natty-light and Miller High Life.  When it comes to beer, it's all the same to me.  Show me the money.

:-j >:D<
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Rated below average on the Naked Whiz Charcoal database. 

First thing I noticed on the review was bag size ... 5.5 lbs and the review was done in 2003 ... Lots of things can change in 8+ years....
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • it's not hard to make big lump smaller if needed.
  • I'm with hogaholic. I regularly use a combination of Wicked Good and Cowboy. The combination has given be very consistent results.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    I just used wicked good for the first time, very good .
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I just bought my first bag of Royal oak today - at a supermarket for 13.99 for a 18lb (or so) bag.  Seems reasonable, been a Weekend Warrior user mostly.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @ IrishDevl-would appreciate your insights when you have some burn time with the Royal Oak.  I use a generic store brand mostly (Kroger-supposedly made by Royal Oak) and it does just fine ( around $5.75/8.8 Lbs) -looking to try some Weekend Warrior once I get through the winter stock pile based on others comments-need to change it up once in a while to better appreciate your comfort zone-marriages excluded.:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Can't beat Wicked Good!
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I certainly will let you know.  I am a fan of wicked (weekend) lump, but it is $20 for  20.  If RO is good at $13, I m all over it.  
  • I have had lumps up to the size of  a  soccer ball. I just busted it up but I cannot used dust and penny size pieces.

I have also seen major variation  from one bag to the next. I have decided the only way to know exactly what is in the grill is to make your own.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Irishdevil, if your famaliar with the burn properties of Wicked Good, you need to know Royal Oak is entirely different. Royal Oak will burn hotter and light faster, but not nearly as long as Wicked Good. It will be an entirely different cooking experience for you. Don't get hung up on the price difference either. You'll burn through a bag of Royal Oak much faster then a bag of Wicked Good. Hope this helps.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Only lump I've been able to find close to my crib is BGE and Cowboy. Haven't tried Cowboy yet.
  • I switched to Royal Oak from Wal-mart from Wicked Good and BGE. Royal Oak burns just like BGE and I bought it for about $13 on sale and bought 25 bags. Stored in attic. Still using it. Smoking butt right now on it. Works like a charm!