Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fast Butt Cook

jimi1234
jimi1234 Posts: 101
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi,

Does anybody have a good method for a fast pork butt cook? I want to make pulled pork for game day, but I can't start it until first thing Sunday morning. 

Thanks!
Jimi1234

Comments

• Hello jimi,

New here but not to Q. Crank your temp up to 350 and depending on the size watch it close so it does not burn. Tent with foil if you have too? I would do several small ones like 5 lbs each.

Located in Western North Carolina
  • It might depend a little on when exactly you can start in the morning, when you want it to be done and how many people you need to feed. I did a 5.5 lb shoulder a couple of days ago at 225 grid temp until the plateau and then 240 after. I put the meat on at 6:00A and pulled it and cooler-ed it at 4:00P to eat at 6:30P.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't need them ready until an hour or two before game time, and you can get them on the egg around 5:00A, and most importantly (as stated above) you use smaller shoulders you should have time to get them done with "normal" temps.

BUT if you need them done sooner or you can't get them on early enough then you're gonna need to speed the process up. I would cook them low with smoke for 2-3 hours and then wrap them in foil and either raise the egg to 325* or  put them in the oven *GASP* to finish.

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I have not done one, but try searching turbo butts. That might get you more answers from people who know what they are talking about.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    I normally do around an 7 to 8lb bone it butt, and I have consistently been able to get mine to pulling temps (195*) in 10 hours or a bit less running at 250-275* dome.  If you have the ability to start them early and can go till game time you should be fine - but if you need it by pre-game then you are going to need more advice form the other turbo butt experts.
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    butterfly it. I did that and cut my cook time in half.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Only way I do them is hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest....no ice =). Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!

Joe

• PlanoPokes gave you a similar suggestion to what I would do. Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so. No need to try and go quick and something too large. Also, try to build in as much rest time as possible. It never hurts.

• jimi1234
    Thanks everybody. Based on the advice here and after searching 'turbo butts' I think I am going to go for around 375 dome until I reach the 160 - 170 area then wrap it in foil with some liquid and back on until I hit 195 - 200. 

Then it'll hit the cooler wrapped in towels. Then I will pull and gorge!

Can't wait.

Jimi
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    How did it turn out? Getting ready to put 2 butts on in a few hours and thinking about doing them around 275-300.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • jimi1234
    Not sure yet. I'm doing this for the Super Bowl. I'll update this space with my results.

• jimi1234
    Thanks again for the help to everybody. It turned out awesome. 

I had an 8.5 lb butt and put it on at about 375 dome. It reached 170 in 3.5 hours. It had a very nice bark on it.

After that, I double foiled it and put in around 3/4 C apple juice. Then back onto the egg. The temp dropped to about 350 dome, but I didn't bother adjusting it. I was ahead of schedule so did not mind. Roughly 2 hours later, it reached 198 deg so I pulled it off, wrapped it in a towel and into the cooler for 1.5 hours. 

It was amazing. Other than the soft bark, I could not tell the difference. It had great flavour and great texture. 

I will have a hard time justifying doing a low and slow when I now know I can do it in 5.5 hours with great results.

Jimi

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Congrats. I am definitely going to try this soon.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Jimi,

Did you cook it indirect?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • jimi1234
    I did it indirect with a plate setter.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Thanks.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • How is the charcoal consumption on a hot/fast vs. a low/slow? Was the higher heat enough to put a dent in the drastic time difference?

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • jimi1234
    I filled it up to the lower edge of the fire ring and it used about 90% of that.