Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru or Stoker Control

2»

Comments

• I am agonizing over this. I am waiting to see what their press release will say today regarding the wifi. I was already to go Stoker, which in the end I probably will, than I saw a post on here where a guy was looking to sell his unused DigiQ because he needed to pay some bills and someone from BBQ Guru hit him up on the forum and took his DTC back. Thats impressive to me. Hopefully they get this press release up soon. Have my egg sitting at 375 waiting to try this Spatchcocking on some chicken. You guys weren't kidding. This is addicting as hell.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394

Kinda wish I waited on the CyberQ - if Guru is coming out with a true WIFI unit.  I have a perfect scenario where I can connect my laptop inside the house via a USB extension cable to the CyberQ and get all the functionality that I need, but part of me wants all the geeky stuff because I work in Information Technology.  It will be interesting to see what the press release says on the new Guru unit.

• Alright folks I did it. I just purchased the Stoker and according to the guy on the phone there is a 2 week wait. Cant wait for it to arrive. I just decided that whatever the press release says does not really matter. I like this unit better over the Guru. 
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    says the wifi firmware for the stoker was supposed to be released this month. Today's the 31st and stokers website has no mention of its release, any idea if it has or whats going on with this? don't want to purchase one after the second time this release has been delayed only to never have it.
  • When I spoke with them yesterday they said there will be a press release today regarding the Wifi. THey posted a comment on their Facebook group this morning saying there will be a press release today. It is now 3:11PM in California. Something tells me the press release will go up around 5 when they close shop for the day so they don't have to deal with the influx of angry callers. 
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited January 2012
    I like I can have Excel recording temp numbers and not just showing a graph. I still want to write commands of if meat temp is equal to or greater than xx°, change pit temp to xx° then when meat temp gets to xx°, drop pit temp to xx°. I think the Stokers system is the only option I could do that with.

The CyberQ has a function to output real-time chart data to Excel...and if you are so inclined, they will give you the source code for thier app and you can code it to do whatever you want - but the main limitation is that you still have to have a computer connected to the unit.  I am currently looking at the Guru source code and deciding if I want to take the time to play around with it or not.
  • The press release states that the firmware is delayed another week or two.

UPDATE February 1 2012:
    Thank you very much for your patience. We are working diligently on the WiFi firmware and plan to have it released in one to two weeks. We had underestimated the effect WiFi would have to the software as a whole. In initial testing the performance was too slow. We were unable to achieve the speed and performance needed without modifying the existing architecture, which has been much more work than anticipated. These issues coupled with unavoidable schedule conflicts have created unintentional delays. We are confident in our product and it is not our intention to further delay the release of the firmware. We will release the firmware as soon as possible. We appreciate everyone's support and understanding.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • Yep. Bummer but it will take 2 weeks for me to get my unit anyway. I would rather they figure it out than have it be a pos. A little bizaar to release a wifi box with no wifi than have the software come out 7 months later. I am not worried.
  • Didn't see an answer to your fan size question.... probably missed it.
    10cm was recommended for my XL (DigiQ). I almost got a 25 but was told it was waaaay over kill. 
    Personally i would go with the 10 on the large too...
    I did did not go with the stoker because I read some bad reports on the WiFi range and my router is on the other end of the house... I can read the DigiQ screen without going outside... Maybe i need both 8)
  • Just started following this post because I'm in a similar situation with the BBQ guru/stoker debate. I emailed BBQ guru recently and they got back to me ASAP. Emails are below. I don't know if there is any new juicy info but definitely some fodder to keep the thread going.

Hello-

I was doing some research into fan and temperature controls for my large Big Green Egg and I came across your product. If there was a product that combined the temperature management features of the BBQ Guru with wifi/iPhone/iPad integration and temperature tracking, I'd think you'd have a winner. I'd do it myself but I figure you guys have such a good head start on me that I'll just let you do it.  Just some food for thought, keep up the good work.

Thanks,
    Bill

Bill, It’s called the CyberQ Wifi and we will be releasing it in March! We have not released this to the public yet but we will be announcing very soon. The CyberQ Wifi will connect through your home wifi network or can be used directly to a smart phone. We will have a full announcement soon.

Bill Sandbo
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131

yukon bill, Thanks for the info, i believe i'll wait until march. Stoker folks will already be waiting until then and i'm curious to see if guru gets it right.