Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Ready Bake Pizza on Egg question?

jkrl
jkrl Posts: 23
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Everytime I'm at Costco and see their ready bake pizzas, I wonder how they would come out on the BGE. Has anybody tried them? Do they taste better (crispier) than when you pick them up in the store? Do you bake them as per the instructions on the box? Any info/suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• These are the pizzas I do 90% of the time, because:

A.) It's from Costco, so we pick up several when we go there
    B.) They're GREAT on the Egg, and ppl can't believe that it's a Costco pizza!!

Anyway, what I do is use the plate setter, legs down, then use the little green feet & put them on top of the plate setter. Then I put the pizza stone on top of that, w/ some corn meal on the stone.

Then I get the Egg temp to somewhere between 350-375, maybe even 400 (depends on where the Egg wants to hover - I just let it stay where it wants to be, rather than constantly fighting the temp). Anyway, then I set the timer on my microwave for 15 minutes, and after that, go out & check - if it's not done, leave it in there for another few minutes, depending on how "done" you like it. My GF likes her pepperoni a little "crispy" on the edges, which, to me, is right on the verge of being "too done."

Anyway, give it a try, you'll be AMAZED at how good the Egg can make that "ho-hum" pizza taste!!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • jkrl
    Thanks HH!  I appreciate it.
  • leechrg
    leechrg Posts: 27
    I usually don't go to Costco since I have a Sams right around the corner, but I may give those a try.

If you have a papa Murphy's take and bake pizza in your town those pizzas are amazing. They come on those cardboard trays and are very hard to transfer to the pizza stone so I have a 15" cast iron skillet with the hadle cut off I use to block the flames. I put the skilet on the plate setter with the legs up and then I Put the grill grate on top of the pate setter and the pizza and cardboard cooker tray right on the grate. They turn out phenomenal and due to how cheap they are and how easy it is it makes it really hard to make a pizza from scratch
  • jkrl
    Thanks leechrg!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    HHT:  The Costco pizza was noticeably better than from the Egg than putting it on a stone in the kitchen oven?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Two more new things to try out. Thanks everyone. Keep em coming.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • HHT:  The Costco pizza was noticeably better than from the Egg than putting it on a stone in the kitchen oven?
    Ragtop - I've never baked a Costco pizza in a normal oven, so I don't know about that. I have bought them already baked from Costco, and I can say w/out a doubt that baking one on the Egg is MUCH better than getting it already baked from Costco. The Egg gives it (any pizza, for that matter) a smoky flavor that makes it taste like it was done at one of those fancy "wood fired oven" pizzerias.

All I know is that the 1st time I had company over and they tried the pizza from the Egg, they couldn't believe it was from Costco (I had to fish the packaging out of the garbage to prove to them). The smoky flavor really takes an ordinary pizza to a whole new level, in my opinion.
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Everytime I'm at Costco and see their ready bake pizzas, I wonder how they would come out on the BGE. Has anybody tried them? Do they taste better (crispier) than when you pick them up in the store? Do you bake them as per the instructions on the box? Any info/suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I'm partial to a Red Baron with some added oregano and pizza put directly on platesetter.  DELICIOUS!!!
  • Just did my taxes - REFUND!

So - I'm buying a few Costco pizzas and a stone from my BGE guy tomorrow morning.  

Honestly, if you'd have told me I would be "grilling" pizzas 3 months ago I'd call you a crazy person.
    8-D
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• jkrl
    Hey MM - let me know how they come out.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    HHT:  The Costco pizza was noticeably better than from the Egg than putting it on a stone in the kitchen oven?
    Ragtop - I've never baked a Costco pizza in a normal oven, so I don't know about that. I have bought them already baked from Costco, and I can say w/out a doubt that baking one on the Egg is MUCH better than getting it already baked from Costco. The Egg gives it (any pizza, for that matter) a smoky flavor that makes it taste like it was done at one of those fancy "wood fired oven" pizzerias.

All I know is that the 1st time I had company over and they tried the pizza from the Egg, they couldn't believe it was from Costco (I had to fish the packaging out of the garbage to prove to them). The smoky flavor really takes an ordinary pizza to a whole new level, in my opinion.
    +1
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Costco pizzas are pretty big. Will they fit in a large egg or does it need to be an xl egg?
  • jkrl
    Good question tjp.  I do have the XL so that isn't an issue.  However, until your question, it had not occurred to me that I  need to go out and pick up an XL stone.  Thanks.
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    The large BGE stone is too small for the Costco pizza's :(. If I recall correctly I read on Naked Whiz's sie you can get a bigger stone to use on the large but I haven't tried since we are doing homemade pizzas or pizzas on Naan bread most of the time.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Costco pizzas are pretty big. Will they fit in a large egg or does it need to be an xl egg?
    Yes, they will fit. Costco pizzas are 16" diameter, and I believe the cooking surface of the Large Egg is 18" diameter @ the felt line.

That being said, in order to fit a 16" pizza, I searched around until I found this 16" diameter round pizza stone, and have been COMPLETELY satisfied w/ it:

16"_Pizza_Stone

HTH,
    Rob

• jeez - the BGEffect is, well, in effect...

After having my heart set on a Costco pizza for dinner tonight (another sentence I never thought I'd say), I found out the BGE pizza stone is too small for the 16" pies...  Cue scouting trip to WS and SLT...  WS was plain awful - disinterested employees in an empty store and paltry product diversity.  On to Sur La Table..  EUREKA!  A very helpful employee met us at the door, even though they were enjoying customers in the store at the time, and directed me to a huge grilling station of all the things I didn't know I needed....

So - to really boil the BGEffect down - I bought the SLT 16 1/2" Cordierite round pizza stone for ~$50 (minus ten percent for my industry discount - ask them about it).  Came home, and did some research.

I just read more about ceramic heat transfer rates, retention rates, and shock values, than any one man should ever have to lol...

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

And here's a link to see which stone I bought, though I recommend you go to the B&M and ask about the industry discount card...

Cordierite is usually used in kiln shelving and other industrial applications where crazy temperatures need to be tolerated.  One thing we should be very happy for - it has a shock rating such that you can literally take a red hot stone and drop it into ice water and it won't crack.  Something to do with the crystalline structure aligning...  The stone I got has a decent thickness too, so I'm not expecting it to be very fragile.  And no seasoning required.

Not in ANY way associated with any of these companies; just hoping to add another dynamic to the discussion...

8-Damien

Oh - after all the looking around we just ended up going by the Mellow Mushroom.  It was pretty good.

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• jkrl
    MM be sure to let us know how the Costco pie comes out on your new stone.  I may need to pick one up myself.