Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to BGE

hla
hla Posts: 6
edited January 2012 in Pork
I am new to this method of cooking, we just bought our LBGE yesterday and I would like to know if I slow cooking a Pork Butt for pulled pork, what internal temp should the pork be ready and how many hours to get the best pulled pork result?

Also, has anyone used the "BBQ Guru" mechanism for slow cooking?

Can you sear pork loin then go to indirect heat?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    No need to sear.  Cook it at a dome temp of at least 250 and cook it to an internal temp of 195.  Easy and perfect every time.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• hla
    hla Posts: 6
    I bought a 6 lbs pork butt and dome temp is at 250 and I would like to take it off when internal temp hits 195, any idea how long this would take?  We put it on the Egg at 8:00am.  This is our first smoke/slow cooking meat.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    All butts cook differently but I usually see about 1.8-2.1 hrs/lb at a calibrated dome of 250*F (+/-).  You can search "fast pulled pork or prok butts" and see where you can take the temp up to 300-350*F to speeed the process along. 195-205*F is a good finish range-best finish indicator is when the bone will readily come out.  Give it some time to rest before pulling and enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited January 2012
    Welcome to BGE and the forum. I'm still pretty new and I love it!

I did my first butt to 190 internal then wrapped it in foil and threw it in a warm cooler. I felt next time I would do internal of 195 or even 200.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Welcome! I got the Guru digiQ for Christmas and love it. It's great for long or overnight cooks. Once the vents are set for your holding temp, and you enter your desired dome and internal meat temp target...walk away.
    BOOMER!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Please do not get a Guru till you learn how to do it yourself. This is very important knowledge.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Note that the OP's question about searing was for a pork loin, not butt.  I'd cook a loin at roasting temps, not low and slow.  It's lean mean and needs to be cooked faster than low and slow.
    The Naked Whiz