Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow Smoking

Fredsh
Fredsh Posts: 2
edited January 2012 in Forum Feedback
The only negative I have found about the egg is when doing a long 3-6 hour smoking process at low temperature, it is hard to reload wood to keep the smoke going.  Any suggestions?
Thanx

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Fill er up the first time and you won't have to worry. I have done 18 hr cooks on one load and I could have gone much longer. How much bare you putting in? Load it up and just reuse the stuff that didn't burn.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    How much are you putting in and what kind? Put chunks instead of chips if you feel you need more smoke. Although chips work fine for me..... I have had a bowl of apple chips smoking a brisket since 7 am this am. Still smoking... Are you finding the food doesn't have smoky enough flavor or you basing it off of lack of smoke coming from egg?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I apologize, thought you meant to original charcoal.  I just life the grate and dump it in where the platesetter isn't, I have an XL and not sure there is enough room in the others.  
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

For a long cook, I clean out completely.    Put small leftover pieces in a bucket, reload with bigger new chunks then pour the smaller ones on top.    Will go 18 to 22 hours without anything added.

Cookin in Texas
  • Fredsh
    Fredsh Posts: 2
    Thanks for the responce.  I should have been more specific, my refernce was to reloading wood not coal for smoking while using the plate setter. I do use chunks rather than chips for longer smoking. Does putting the wood in a bowl on the caols create a longer, slower smoke?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I don't feel you have to generate smoke during the entire cook, and a recent article in Cook's Illustrated confirmed it (they cooked a chicken on a gasser and found, if they replenished the chip/foil pack halfway thru the cook, the chicken got too smoky).
    Try adding your chunks at the beginning as you are, and when the smoke stops don't worry about it; I'll bet your meat will taste just fine.    

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    I mix the chunks in the charcoal, spread out around the fire box. As new charcoal engages, it's picking up new wood.
    Cookin in Texas
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    There are a couple of other things you can do to up the smoke flavor beyond mixing wood all thru the lump.

First, the kind of wood makes a lot of difference. The most flavor will come from woods that are very "hard." The classic BBQ woods are oak and hickory. I can get a much stronger smoke effect from a small amount of oak than a larger quantity of apple.

It helps for the meat to be moist to absorb some of the smoke chemicals. Usually, smoking happens at a temperature low enough that the outside of the meat does not dry out. But a little extra water/juice mopped on will help the smoke molecules sink into the meat.
  • Good advice given here, but theres one more trick I've learned from previous forum discussions that makes the most sense. Boatbum called it out......Layer your wood. Lump....wood chunks... lump, wood chunks...etc. your fire will burn from top to bottom, so as it burns down it will ignite the lower level wood. Of course this is for longer cooks where you want a lot of smoke flavor.
    (not necessarily poultry).
    And there's no need to soak your wood!
    BOOMER!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Put ykur wood where the fire is going to be, in the middle, up and down in a column. Fire burns down, not out. Make sure the fire finds wood, and you'll have smoke
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    I always start my fires around bottom dead center and once lit build up the lump in the center to the level of the rest of the load-either top of the fire box or up into the ring for extended duration low&slows.  Fire burns where the fuel is but given a choice it will "burn up" (hot gasses and other combustibles) as evidenced by structure fires where those that start in the attic go through the roof and only then start to burn down and those that start in the basement quickly head up toward the roof.  Been there-done that as a volunteer fire fighter for 12+ years.  Provided FYI-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    I bought an XL BGE in January. Yesterday, I put some pork ribs on for four hours. I use wood chunks (I used hickory) I had the wood soaking in a bucket, and I would put one or two pieces at a time. When the chunk burned out, I used the ceramic grill lifter, and added more chunks through the side of the plate setter. What I ended up with were some of the best ribs I have ever tasted.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • Pecan chunks seem to add some real noticeable flavor.  Don't throw pecans in there though - I have had a few explode.  Cool looking with hot embers flying all over the place...
  • Just discovered pecan. Love it. I'm done with everything else.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL