Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork - 1st time

Options
Philicious
Philicious Posts: 346
edited January 2012 in Pork
Wifey wants me to cook pulled pork for the Superbowl party. I have never done it on the BGE. I have read plenty and seem to understand: 2 hours per pound; 195 ish internal temp; and wrap and rest for 2 hours or longer.

Questions: Any problem injecting the beast?
If I cook two 5 pounders at the same time, am I still looking at 10 hours, roughly?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Forget two hours per pound, load up you grill with coal; put rub on your butt (Use yellow mustard to make it stick - can be done the night before); put on your egg at midnight or later the night before.  Take off when temp is 195-205 (use a thermometer) and wrap double foil, towel and place in cooler.  When  you want to eat remove the un-pulled pork from cooler and pull apart.  Use wood chips for smoke as desired. 
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Didn't see that they were 5 lbrs.  Can propbably put on in the morning 7-8 am and ready for 6:30 kick-off.  
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Oh, most important for best results; root for the Giants.
  • Philicious
    Options
    I don't want to mess up this thread or have someone sabotage my cook, but I will be rooting for the Giants.  I was born and raised in New Orleans (don't like there anymore thanks to Katrina) so Eli is a hometown boy.  And, they got all of the lucky bounces, etc that the 49ers got beating my Saints.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    True, Giants got some lucky bounces.  I think SF is the best team in the NFC, but very happy to see my Giants in the Superbowl.  Really, always root for anyone playing Dallas or Pats.  
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Hope you got help with your cook in the thread.
  • gtk10583
    Options
    I don't like either teams, but enjoy the super bowl cookout.
  • PORTIA013
    Options
    Just got a BGE for a gift this week  - so excited but a little nervous to cook my first project!!!  Which is a better first attempt - ribs or a boston butt to smoke?
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    I am always a fan of pulled pork, shred and eat.  Sandwich etc...  Ribs are great, but for SB pulled pork can't be beat.  
  • Philicious
    Options
    Tweev_tip - 250-300 grid temp? What would the dome temp be?
  • 06TechGrad
    Options

HELP! I am doing my first butt as we speak and I thought I would chime in here rather than make a new post.

I am doing an 8-9 pound butt that I started at around midnight last night. I watched the temp the first hour and went to bed around 12:45 after temp held steady at 265 degrees. I just woke up at 5:30 and thought I would check on it. The temp was at 325 and I am worried. I know it was windy last night so I think temperature just ran away on me. I have both vents opened just a little so I can get temperature down.

Any other advise? I am just worried that I ruined it. Using logic, the temp rose around 60 degrees in about 5 hours, which is 12 degrees an hour. I figure I have been over 300 for a couple of hours. The temperature of the meat is 155-160 degrees after 5 hours. Okay?

• IrishDevl
    Options
    Won't be ruined at all, just bring temp back down to around 250 and you will be fine. One of the good things about Maverick ET-732 is that you can put an alarm on it if the grill temp or food goes above or below a certain level.  Works well and will wake you up if that happens.  But you should be fine, bring back to temp and let it cook.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    It should hang in that 155-170 region for quite a while.
  • 06TechGrad
    Options

Thanks for the help.

I get the temperature down to 275 and went back to bed at 6:30. I just got up again at around 8:45 and temperature was at 225. I have it back up to 250 now. Also, the meat is still in that 160 - 165 range so I shold be good. T

Thanks again for the help! 

• IrishDevl
    Options
    Ya, somewhere in the 225-275 range should work.  Not an exact science this smoking stuff. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    You are seeing the "stall" and the duration can be quite disturbing to first-time viewers.  Be patient as eventually the meat will get through it and rise at a nice slow rate til ready for the "wrap and pack" in HDAF and towels in a cooler.  Then when time to serve, pull and consume.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    This post is making me hungry!!! 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options

i JUST purchased my 7.5 lb bone-in pork shoulder for the Super Bowl as well.  I am trying my first overnight cook using the Dizzy Pig style pulled pork recipe found here (http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesButt.html). 

I am borrowing my buddys marinade injector (yes we share dirty needles) but looking for tips regarding the injection. . . should I inject it hours before the cook or moments before?  how much liquid should I put in?  should you shoot it in the center or hit numerous different areas?

I am sure my questions are not "game changers" for the finished product, but any advice out there?  My previous pork shoulder was delicous but slightly on the dry side so thinking this might help . . thanks!

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    Anyone have tips on injection?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Philicious
    Options
    Check out fredsmusicandbbq.com under recipes
  • NDG
    Options

k thanks, here is what i found in case others are wondering . . . 

Rinse them off with cold water and trim off any offending little things you
    don't like the looks of.
    Put in aluminum pan, cover with plastic wrap (this
    is your protection from squirting injection stuff)

OR

Leave them in the cryovac ..and inject THROUGH the cryovac ..then after you
    inject them , remove from cryovac, lightly rinse pat dry etc.

Inject the meat every 1 inch or so , really pump it in there.
    Drain
    off excess injection in your pan.
    Liberally coat entire meat all sides with
    the rub.
    let sit ... one to 12 hours . I perfer one or two hours.
    Get
    pit to aprox 225 ti 250 deg. at grate . In the Big Green Egg I try to use 260
    dome temp.
    Add wood chips, chunks, / etc. (I prefer Hickory)

Columbus, OH

• Philicious
    Options
    I just finished pulling two 6 pounders and I did not inject them.  This was the first time I did this so I wanted to try au natural.  Came out super moist.  I did wrap them in 3 sheets of foil and a towel and let them sit in a cooler for a few hours.  The one that was in the cooler longer was more moist.