Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon

Options
trgann
trgann Posts: 3
edited January 2012 in Seafood
I would like some ideas on grilling salmon not on a ceder plank any help would be great. Thanks

Comments

• bumpye
    bumpye Posts: 15
    Options

I haven't fired up my BGE yet, I'm building a table for it, but I did some salmon on the oven broiler the other night and used the following recipe:

Pitted Calamata olives

Sun dried tomatoes

Broil for 10-12 minutes

Chop all ingredients together and layer on top of the Salmon during the last 5 minutes of broiling.

Delicious-can't wait to try it on the BGE. Probably will use a cedar plank to prevent it falling through the grate.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options

Here's a link to a curing/hot smoke process that works well for me:

http://fishcooking.about.com/od/smokebrine/ss/smokingfish.htm I generally only cure for about 4-6 hours.  After air drying, I hot smoke (apple , cherry or adler) at around 200*F (+/-) on the dome to a finish temp of 140*F in the thickest part of the fillet.  You can serve hot or cold. Good luck-it's all good on the BGE.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • trgann
    Options
    Thanks for the info
  • trgann
    Options

Here's a link to a curing/hot smoke process that works well for me:

http://fishcooking.about.com/od/smokebrine/ss/smokingfish.htm I generally only cure for about 4-6 hours.  After air drying, I hot smoke (apple , cherry or adler) at around 200*F (+/-) on the dome to a finish temp of 140*F in the thickest part of the fillet.  You can serve hot or cold. Good luck-it's all good on the BGE.

• burr_baby33
    Options
    Your salmon on the BGE will be the best you have ever had. Here is a simple and delicious recipe. I take the skin off. Then I trim off the gray/brown flesh since it is very strong. pull the pin bones out (or eat around them). A little EVOO, a little salmon rub then paint on some maple syrup. Set up to grill direct using alder wood chunks or chips. Set up around 300-350.
    Why take the skin off? Two reasons, I like to grill both sides plus you can get that foul tasting grey/brown flesh out. The main ingredient in this recipe is the alder wood. Find some. Alder and salmon are a perfect fit.
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Options
    Pike Place Fish Co. in Seattle sells the best salmon rub I have ever tasted.  It's called "Our Own Rub".  Spicy with just enough heat. 

I do it very simple:

I leave skin on for the cook.

Brush with EVOO then season liberally

Cast iron grate, flat side up, very clean and oiled.

Egg around 350-400.  I put the flesh side down for about 2 minutes to get a nice sear.  While it is searing I brush the skin side with EVOO.  Flip it and let is sit there until you see the fat oozing out the side and it starts flaking. 

After pulling and resting for a few minutes I filet the skin off.

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Options
    Trgann,

Are you aware there is a forum here just for seafood recipes???   Look on the right side of the page here and scroll down.

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • tdbmd
    tdbmd Posts: 46
    Options
    I did some salmon last week, marinate overnight in Italian dressing and then grilled on foil until the fat oozes.  Simple but was really good. 
  • gtk10583
    Options
    The wife marinates it in a zip lock bag for about 1 hr.  I grill at 375F direct heat, skin side up.  After 10 min. the skin peels right off.  I poor a bit more marinade on the exposed flesh and flip.  Continue grilling for another 10 min.

Leftovers (if any, ha!) are great on a toasted bagel with cream cheese at breakfast :)
  • hla
    hla Posts: 6
    Options
    We just bought our "BGE" today.  Someone told me that if you cook fish, i.e, salmon that it gets into the walls of the BGE and its hard to get the smell out, your next few grillings of meat will have a Fish sort of taste, is this true?  
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    No.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    We just bought our "BGE" today.  Someone told me that if you cook fish, i.e, salmon that it gets into the walls of the BGE and its hard to get the smell out, your next few grillings of meat will have a Fish sort of taste, is this true?  
    No, this is not true. Does the person telling you this own a BGE? If not, then I would take what he/she said w/ a grain of salt. Maybe he "heard" it from someone who heard it from someone who...

The only time something won't "smell" right is when you haven't let the lump burn off the VOCs (the "bad" smoke). And there have been a few folks who've posted about drippings (grease, fat, etc) from the food landing on the coals & producing a bad odor.

But other than that, I've never heard of, nor have I personally witnessed in my own Egg-sperience, any sort of bad odor from fish getting "into the walls."
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • hla
    hla Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, I will not worry about the salmon issue.