Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini egg

Walkersbald
Walkersbald Posts: 12
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone out there have a mini? Looking to take one to our cabin in the mountains.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Yes and I like it very much. Also have a couple of Larges. I use it 80%+ of the time. You will find it a true cooker.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Love to cook on my mini also. It's a better direct cooker but with the woo it can do smaller indirect cooks. I also do pizzas sometimes. Not sure I would want it as my only egg for very long but we use it camping all the time.
  • Awesome! Thanks for the advice! I think I will probably talk myself into a small or med. for my main. And get a mini for camping.
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Hey Lit, do you use the 10" Woo on your mini? I think our mini's are about the same age. The 9" grid fits much better than the 10" on mine. But I'd be interested to know if the Woo fit.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• what is a woo? a placesetter? im very new to eggs, trying to figure them out.

• Lit

Woo is an accessory from the ceramicgrillstore.com. HIC the woo didn't fit in mine but I cut a small wedge out of the ring and then took out one of the support bars and made it a little smaller so it fits. Then I went and bought the 9.5" stainless grid and some all thread and just made my own.image

• Mickey
    edited January 2012

This is the Woo. The pizza stones (if used) ride on the lower bars if indirect cooking. You have to have a 10" grate to order a Woo so please check it. I use the woo most of the time. Click on pic to make larger. Second shot is woo and High Que.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I thought Mini's were just a gimmick??

;)  :D

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    I thought Mini's were just a gimmick??

;)  :D

Mike

Omaha, NE
    Not a gimmick: take a look at this   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGge_k7FUI

• Lit
    I got my small/Mini high que grate yesterday. Can't wait to try it out.
  • BOWHUNR
    I was just kidding Mickey.  Note the wink and smiley.  I'm buying one of those gimmicks for my next egg!!

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    Sorry Mike, I am just slow (little yellow bus). But still a good/interesting deal to watch.

• Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    That you tube video was one inspiring set of pictures...that mini sure makes the meat look big!

I fear I am heading down that slippery slope.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • BOWHUNR
    I here ya Gezr!  All this mini talk is getting me antsy.  I told myself I would wait until April or May, but fear I'm not going to make it.  Do the newest mini's have the 10" grid?

Mike
    Omaha, NE 

Omaha, NE
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    What is the high que grate??
  • Lit
    Look at Mickeys second photo in the bottom of the firebox. It allows better air flow to heat up faster.
  • Bakeman
    Where can you get them?
  • Mickey
    edited January 2012
    Amazon.com Bakeman for the HighQue. Have them in all my eggs.

• Bakeman
    I will be getting one, thanks so much
  • bamafan62
    bamafan62 Posts: 137
    Will this set-up work on the 9 1/2 inch mini?

Thank You,
    Phil
  • Lit
    What set up the woo or the high que?
  • Mickey
    Will this set-up work on the 9 1/2 inch mini?

Thank You,
    Phil
    Sorry but has to be the 10" for the Woo to work. I think you have to order the 9.5P and you get a 10". Talk with egg hq.

• BOWHUNR
    @ Mickey.  Do the brand new mini's have the 10" grate?

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    edited January 2012
    I can't tell you. I have 4 on order for the Salado EggFest to give away and not in yet. The last time I looked was around Thanksgiving and still had the 9.5".

• BOWHUNR
    Do me a favor Mickey and pm me or put a post up with about what size you receive.  If they're making the 10" again I'm on one like white on rice!!  My wife might have me committed, but I'm on it!!

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey

Mike do you just need a grate or the whole Mini?

• BOWHUNR
    I need the whole mini.  Well....not sure I need it, but I sure as hell want one to go with my others! :))  I would like to have the 10" so I can use a woo and not have to **** with fabricating something.  Too busy cooking to mess with that! :D

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I have a mini which I love but with the 9.5" stainless grid which I hate because it moves around too much when brushing it off and because it doesn't fit the Woo very well.  I do use mine on the Woo and it sits a little off-level but I manage to make it work.  I found a small drip pan that I cover with foil and it works pretty well for indirect.

I've been trying to order a 10" or the 9.5 P but haven't had any luck finding one.

I also have a Small and used to say I'd never buy a Mini while I had a Small but I've been surprised at how often I've ended up using the Mini.  
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • BOWHUNR
    edited January 2012
    I get a little pi$$ed at the Mothership sometimes.  They show on the website that the mini has a 10" grate, but I read a lot of posts that say different.  C'mon guys (BGE).....everyone wants the larger grate so what is the problem?  Or is there no problem like the gaskets?  Did I just say that? 

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE