Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Playoff Game Tri Tip

Options
Wishnbfishn
Wishnbfishn Posts: 2
edited January 2012 in Beef

I'm new to the BGE experience, just having received mine for Christmas 2011, but I'm having a blast experimenting with it. I cooked a couple of tri tips yesterday that turned out great, using the following:

2 - approx. 3 lb tri tips

1. Trim away fat
  2. Rub moderately with garlic salt and Costco Mesquite rub, plastic bag them, and put in the refrigerator for two hours.
  3. Fire up the the BGE - with direct heat to 650 degrees
  4. Sear the tri tips 3 minutes on each side, remove from heat, and wrap in aluminum foil.
  5. Set up BGE for indirect heat with a plate setter.
  6. Choke air flow down with bottom sliding vent and top daisy wheel to maintain 300 degree internal temperature
  7. Remove seared tri tips from foil and place on a roast rack on the cooking grate over the plate setter, with a pan to catch drippings.
  8. Throw some hickory chips on the coals.
  9. Close BGE and cook at ~300 degrees until internal meat temperature reaches 150 degrees. (mine took about 45 minutes)
  10. Remove tri tip, wrap in aluminum foil, and let rest for approximately 15 minutes.
  11. Remove from foil, slice thinly across the grain, and enjoy!

The tri tips turned out juicy and delicious.... if only the 49 ers could have ended so well.

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Well the better team won, at least you had a nice meal.  Joking, I actually think SF is the best team out there, just got unlucky, I am very happy the Giants won, but I was also very impressed with SF, particularly the defense - very tough.  They certainly have a great team to build on for next year.  But for now, Go Giants!
  • Wishnbfishn
    Options
    Congrats to you and your Giants on a Superbowl victory! Maybe next year we'll meet again at the NFC Championship game. 

Spring is coming. Happy egging!

Wishn