Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Green Egg with a carton

Mawger
Mawger Posts: 40
edited January 2012 in EGG Table Forum

We purchased the Small Egg after much advice from you folks.  Because we wanted to be able to move it in and out of our camper storage area, our son designed and made a carrier/mover/carton for our Small Big Green Egg.  The aluminum carrier makes it so much easier to move and we think it is just too stinkin cute to boot.  Oh, yeah it has a pop bottle opener on the front, also.  We are considering putting some green (of course) tubing on the actual handles to give a really good grip. It has holes in the body of the carten so that we can anchor it down with straps in our holding area. We call it our Carten.  My avatar  is a picture of our Carten.

Comments

• Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Looks nice! Others might confirm this but you might want to put some air space at the bottom so the metal base doesn't heat up too much and burn or melt whatever it's sitting on.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Real nice. If you flip it over, is its stand? That has commercial use for small and mini.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mawger
    edited January 2012

No, it is the stand.  We use it just like you see it here. It never has to leave the CARTen.  That's the beauty of it.  It's portable and stable, too. 

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

I'm wondering why it is called Carten and not Carton?

Looks to be very handy ... send me one!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Mawger

Don't know how much of a market there would be; not a bad idea, Mickey.

Squeezy; just a play on words, I guess.  Cause it's an egg carton and it's also a cart, there is no explaining  it I guess.  Sure makes it easy for two people to handle, I do know that.

• Mickey
    edited January 2012
    If that would flip your Egg would be about cooking height by setting it on the flipped bottom. Good for Small or Mini. That is how the boxes you see are.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mawger, I agree with Mickey.  There would be a market and I would certainly be interested in purchasing one of the CARTen for my mini and small. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    I also would be interested in one for our mini / small post more pics if you can.
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • Mawger
    edited January 2012

Glad you like our little insurance policy for our small Egg.  And Jasper we don't set the Egg on a wooden table, so burning is not an issue.  We use it on the tailgate. We haven't noticed that the Carten gets that hot. 

To answer the comment about flipping the Carten for use;  each time you would remove it from the Carten you run the risk of dropping it.  The original design concept was to enable easier and less cumbersome handling ability.  And it certainly does just that.

Sandy

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Too cool. Nice job.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• If you place it on a tailgate, then it's already at a good height.  But there's nothing to stop you from turning it over and using it as a stand, I assume?
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mawger
    Would have to check that out first, but right now I can't see why it wouldn't work that way....hmmm
  • Mickey
    edited January 2012
    So where and when can we get one. Want a mini size.

• Ok now i know what an avatar is thanks...and it does look cool. 

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Mawger

Mickey if you are serious I can ask my son if he would consider making another one in mini size.  I think when he cut ours he may have cut two in the small size.  So he would probably let that one go as he doesn't have a small Egg.  I can check with him.  PM me if you are serious about it.  lakelewis@gmail.com

• Mickey
    Just sold my small as I never used it. Would be interested in a Mini size and must be able to take mini out, turn over unit to use as base and put mini on bottom to cook from.

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Mawger said:

No, it is the stand.  We use it just like you see it here. It never has to leave the CARTen.  That's the beauty of it.  It's portable and stable, too. 

Just what I was looking for. I am contacting him now to order for my Small. :)
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Your sn hooked you up! Very impressive!
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • Freddy, I'm glad you are searching for threads about egg carTens, but try to look at dates of threads you wish to comment on. This thread started 17 months ago. From one Fred to another, try not to feed trolls or resurrect zombies.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Sgt93

Freddy, I'm glad you are searching for threads about egg carTens, but try to look at dates of threads you wish to comment on. This thread started 17 months ago. From one Fred to another, try not to feed trolls or resurrect zombies.

He's not hurting anyone, remarks like this keep people from visiting this forum. Some of you need to grill more instead of sitting here watching this forum non stop. It's rotting your brains away.
  • Thanks sarge. I maintain there's nothing wrong with asking folks to look at the date and that's all I did. For a sargeant, you sure are in touch with your feelings and seem quite sensitive. BTW, I am grilling right now and using my phone to have this exchange with you. Get with the times sarge.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Sgt93
    Thanks sarge. I maintain there's nothing wrong with asking folks to look at the date and that's all I did. For a sargeant, you sure are in touch with your feelings and seem quite sensitive. BTW, I am grilling right now and using my phone to have this exchange with you. Get with the times sarge.
    I wouldn't expect to see any other comment when I logged in, bravo!

For someone like you that obviously wishes they were a 'Sergeant' with some sort of an authoritative position, presumably a BGE moderator is your goal in life, maybe you should learn the definition and proper use of 'Sargeant'  (your wrongful choice) and 'Sergeant', the proper choice for a person with an authoritative position.

Merriam-Webster describes 'Sargent' as the following:

sargeant

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

This would be considered a 'fail' as a moderator and surely would not be used by someone who has at one time or another, been in the authoritative position of a Sergeant, or worked for one.  I assume you are neither as history would certainly have your story told for generations to learn 'what never to do'.

ser·geant

noun \ˈsär-jənt\

Definition of SERGEANT

obsolete : an officer who enforces the judgments of a court or the commands of one in authority
    : a noncommissioned officer ranking in the army and marine corps above a corporal and below a staff sergeant; broadly :noncommissioned officer
    : an officer in a police force ranking in the United States just below captain or sometimes lieutenant and in England just below inspector

Origin of SERGEANT

Middle English, servant, attendant, sergeant, from Anglo-French sergant, serjant, from Latin servient-, serviens,present participle of servire to serve
    First Known Use: 13th century

This is the proper spelling of 'Sergeant' (since we are judging others on a post and 'acting' as an authoritative figure. I learned some of this in combat, you may have been watching the news or typing on your phone while grilling.
    As far as 'get with the times Sarge'. Since I have am trained in C+, C++, C#, Java, .NET and VB to name a few as a Computer Science major, I am above and beyond 'the times' Mr. Flintstone.  Since your 'feelings' seem to come out and you get 'sensitive' over someone posting on a thread not created today, you may have some issues you need addressed.  I'm simply sticking up for @freddyj as he seems to be the Barney that Fred Flintstone wants to cyber bully. 

P.S, I obviously made the mistake of not unsubscribe from this topic when leaving the forum.  Fixed. 

• Over react much? I think you have issues sarge. You did entertain me though.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Sigh
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    lol 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Mangrates!

Too soon?
    Mamaroneck
  • Hibby
    I'm only now learning that valuable information in threads loses value over time. Surprising that they just don't automatically delete after 10 minutes. :-B
  • Hibby said:

I'm only now learning that valuable information in threads loses value over time. Surprising that they just don't automatically delete after 10 minutes. :-B

Threads about hardware may still have good info, but the OP may not even be on the forum anymore. What's wierd is comments on old threads about a cook that occurred months before. Like I said, the OP may not be posting anymore so asking about a certain aspect of the dish or just to say "looks good" is kinda useless. Meanwhile the "zombie" thread gets bumped to the top.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Hibby
    Cool man. I got ya!
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited June 2013
    man  :-? what If i just went on a necro bump frenzy  8-}

might be as annoying as a guy sending "hi" ten times in a PM that includes the whole forum.... haha just poking @fred19flintstone bye! 
    >-)

XLBGE