Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine?

Options
Philicious
Philicious Posts: 346
edited January 2012 in Pork
My brother has a medium egg and i have a large.  He told me that he smoked some double cut (thick) pork chops and told me that I should do so as well.  He also told me that he wished that he had brined the chops first.  Anyone ever do this?  Got a link or instructions/directions/recipe?

Thanks.
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• wera274
    Options
    We brined some regular pork chops and cooked them on the egg once and they were wonderful. However, after leaving them in the brine for 24 hrs, they were almost too salty. I think if they had been the thick cut ones they would have been perfect. A general rule is between 1 and 1.5c kosher salt and .5c sweetener (we used brown sugar, but you could use white sugar or molasses as well) per gallon of water. Of course, you could scale this back a bit if you don't need a whole gallon for your chops. I added a small handful of peppercorns and crushed up a couple garlic cloves to throw into the mix. Heat up half of the water just long enough to dissolve the salt and sugar and then add enough ice and cold water to bring you up to the total amount. Add your meat and refrigerate for at least several hours. I think you will be very pleased with how moist and tender your pork chops turn out. Try it on turkey, too. There is no comparison!
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I bought a pork rack at Costco during the holidays, I followed a recipe someone posted for it on another forum including a brine.  The chop was ridiculously salty, I am not a fan of brining.  
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    The pork that you bought from Costco was already brined. Try it again without prebrined roasts.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    You sure?  I didn't think so, I bought the same pork as the person stated and he/she brined it.  
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    I buy them all the time. The ones sold here in central Florida are brined. I didn't realize it until someone was talking about making sure you read labels. I also found some ribs at Ablertsons that were brined. I now look at the fine print.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Is this the one you buy?  This is what I was referring to.    
  • GrannyX4
    edited January 2012
    Options
    That is the roast but I don't recall the Swifts Premium label name brand.

I believe the roast says that it was injected with nitrates -right under the label that says rack of pork.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Ya, the one I bought is this.  Only have it during the holidays, it might be brined I am not sure.  
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    I edited my post and I believe it says that it's been injected.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    On a different forum this is the rack he/she used and then fully brined each piece.  I found it to be salty after following the recipe.  
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Interesting, I would post the other link, but not sure I am allowed. 
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Yep it would be. There isn't a need to brine.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Good to know, thanks.  I need to read the fine print.  
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    I read the post and all I could think was " why"!
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    That is what I thought after I ate it (among others).