Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm very puzzled, would love some input here!

BigEd
BigEd Posts: 4
edited January 2012 in Pork
I have had my large BGE for almost a year now and I have cooked many pork shoulders on it as my kids love pulled pork. My pork always get done MUCH faster than what everyone else says it should. I know my dome thermometer is not calibrated correctly and will do that today. I put on a 10lb bone-in shoulder at 8:30pm last night with the plate setter and a drip pan and grate temp has held all night between 257 and 266 according to grate thermometer. I'm using a Maverick ET732 and it says pork is 205 at 6am this morning. 8.5 hours and it's done! I see all the other posts saying it should take 1.5 -2 hours per lb. what gives?!?!?! Thanks!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    257  to 266 at the grate level might be 280 to 300 at the dome level for the first half of the cook. its cooking faster because your cooking at a higher temp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Fishless is right, Ed. Especially of your grate thermometer probe was close to the meat. Good chance you were cooking at 300 dome, at least until the meat got hot.

How was the pork??
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BigEd
    It is delicious! Would I see a benefit by dropping temp and cooking slower? I can't imagine it tasting much better! Thanks for the input.
  • BigEd

I just calibrated the dome thermostat and let's just say it was WAY off!  I knew it was wrong once I used the Maverick but I really thought the temp at the grate would be higher than the temp in the dome.  However, according to all of you, and I'm certain you are smarter about this matter than me, I was wrong!  Now let's just hope I have some of this pork left once everyone shows up for the game today!  Any suggestions on best way to heat up the pork once they arrive?  Wasn't planning on it being done so early :-)

• i have found the best way to reheat a butt is double wrap in foil, set oven at 300, insert meat probe and take out when internal temp is 100.  mine have stayed moist and tender with this method
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    @bertman71

I'm assuming this is before it has been pulled??
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    If you have already pulled it, add about a cup of coke (not diet) into a crock pot and reheat. You wont taste the coke and it will be quite moist. I've done this several times works great.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney