Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why do ppl say pizza burns up a gasket?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
what makes pizza more prone to burn up a gasket when compared to any high-temp sear? Everyone on pizza discussions mention the "gasket risk" but I never understood the danger . . Thanks!
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I think it's the hi temp. My gasket has been perfect for some time doing all slow cooks. I've been doing some 700° cooks of steaks in the last few months and my gasket is showing the damage.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Village Idiot
    Options
    My guess is that there are not too many things you cook with that high a temp.  Also, it's with the dome down.  Burping it causes high heat to escape over the gasket.  If searing steaks at that temp, the dome is up.

Just a guess.  I fried mine pretty quickly.  Haven't missed it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• smokinsooner
    Options

Cooked pizza about 3 weeks... (a BYOP party....mostly Pappa Murphy's) cooked 5 pies.

Absolutely toasted my gasket. There were precious few flare ups, I've gotten pretty good at burping and easing the pie onto the stone before a flare up can happen... I even backed the temp down to 450...still had to replace the gasket.

BOOMER!
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    It maybe just the higher temperatures that cause the gasket fail. Most people do pizza at 600+. High temperarure and the fact that a lot of people use the plate setter legs down which directs more heat to the gasket could also another reason.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    The stone has a lot to do with it too; all the superhot air must squeeze between the edge of the stone and the wall of the Egg on its way out the chimney, right where the gasket is.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I think its the high heat and the platesetter legs down. The heat comes around the platesetter right around the gasket level. BGE told me to use the platesetter legs up with the grid and then the stone. Last pizza I did using this setup was great. Also helps to position one of the legs in the rear of the egg.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • NDG
    Options
    K this makes sense - I was just curious.

Now the pizza dough question . . does anyone have fidels (or great NY style) dough recipe? Seems to be a "missing post" for fidels recipe . . yet still in demand by name from many posters (must be good!). I just got a kicka$$ mixer with dough attachment so going for the best this weekend, thanks!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Its not the pizza that burns the gasket it's the heat. Duh. The gasket burning has to do with the half hour you have to let your egg sit at high temps to let the stone get to temp. When you sear steaks you might be at 700 for several minutes but with pizza it sits there for 40 minutes allowing the whole egg to get really hot.
  • NDG
    Options
    Thanks tweev but not a fan of chicago pizza, so heavy I feel I need to shower after one slice!

I think I found good NY recipe based off an attempt to replicate the "mellow mushroom" crust. I guess I will try this out this weekend unless others have ideas that trump.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1143642#Comment_1143642
    Columbus, OH

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited January 2012
    Options

Here is are a few more you can look over:

http://s330.photobucket.com/albums/l406/schwansonlip/Pizza/?action=view&current=229404c7.pbw

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html

I never made the first one but I heard it was pretty good, the second one I did make and it was really good. Last time I made pizza I needed a quick recipe and found a good dough that only took 2 hours on another egg forum from a member called AZRP. I'm not sure I can post that link here so you are going to have to try and find that one yourself.

• bowbender7
    Options
    Botch nailed it.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

I have found that there a couple of things that really increase your risk of gasket failure on the large sized egg.  As Gato mentioned above using the platesetter with the legs up helps filter the heat loser away from the gasket area.  Another known problem that I have seen is when you use a pizza stone that is 16" this will also increase the amount of heat directed towards the gasket.  Standard large sized pizza stone the BGE sells for that cooker is 14".

I cook pizzas at 550-600 and have no problems, you do have to keep the top closed as it will jump if left open for any extended period of time. IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• dowy
    dowy Posts: 2
    Options
    I have only had my large egg for about a month, but I have cooked 3 pizzas so far at 550-600 degrees without any issues. Using the placesetter legs down with the standard pizza stone from green egg. I cooked a BBQ chicken pizza last night at 600 for 25 min and it came out perfect. I used parchment paper for the first 15 min instead of corn meal, and slid it out- not sure this was necessary- but wanted the pizza directly on the stone. Pizza came out great and get to have leftovers for lunch.
  • woody's wood pit
    Options

just learning how to do pizza and have had a hard time getting the pizza off onto the stone...at 600 will the parchment paper burn?  have been worried about flaming a pizza with everyone watching... 

also where is the best place to get a pizza peel?  bge dealers seem to be out all the time.//   

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    Do you have any restaurant supply stores in your area? They usually carry various types.
  • NDG
    Options

Thanks Hungry Joe - I went with the http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html pizza recipe you posted and it turned out prettttty, prettttty, prettttttty good.

Felt a little wrong just throwing the yeast in with other dry ingredients (no proof, warm water, sugar, etc) and it sure didnt rise as much as I thought . . .  BUT, after 24+ hr waiting period it was dead on, thanks!

Columbus, OH

• smokesniffer
    Options
    With the pizza on the parchment paper, and both pizza and paper on your peel, you can slide the whole she-bang onto the pizza stone, you can even pull on the paper to help it along. It is really simple and it works great. You won't be having a paper flame show. Just take it off in a couple on minutes after the dough of the crust starts to get cooked.
    Large, small, and a mini