Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to EGGin - Suggestions Needed

genwmull
genwmull Posts: 61
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have had my LBGE for a week now.  I started out cooking hamburgers and hotdogs just to try it out.  This cooker is amazing.  I moved on to chicken breast and thick cut pork loin.  They turned out very moist and tasted exceptional.  I decided I was going to go all in and smoke a Boston Butt low and slow.  I loaded the egg with 5 pounds of royal oak lump with four chunks of hickory and fired it up this past Saturday night.  I adjusted the temp to 250 and put the 9.5 pound butt rubbed with DP Dizzy Dust and 17 hours later the meat temp hit 198.  I wrapped in aluminum foil and let it rest in a cooler for 1.5 hours.  It was so tender that it just fell apart.  As you can see in the picture I was using a webber grill in the past.  Actually I just gave it away after cooking on the egg.

This is the lump left after the smoke.

Sorry for all of
the rambling; now for the question.  Any suggestions on what to cook
next (ribs, spatchcocked chicken,?).

Large BGE Dyersburg TN

Comments

• either one, depending onhow much time you have, i usually do a chicken a week.   just a thought, i would just load it up with lump, when done just shut it down , it will be there next time, there is nothing worse than running your lump out.  well running out of propane on a gasser might be worse.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    My favorite thing to cook on any cooker is ribs.  I cook St. Louis style.  

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    @genwmull
    That looks great, did you mix the two bowls together or leave them separate?

I see alot of pics with the probe wires covered in foil. Is that necessary? Seems like it would make an imprint in the gasket material.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited January 2012
    I kept my Weber OTG mainly because of the Rotisserie attachment. That thing's bad ass, and probably the one thing you can do on a Weber charcoal that you cant on a BGE (McGuyver stuff aside). Plus, for parties or large gatherings I can always throw simple stuff on the Weber in addition to the egg.

For your next cook on the egg you should do Salmon filets with the Raging River recipe and or ATB's with hickory smoke. On my short list is garlic butter lemon lobster tails.

Rotisserie off the Weber:
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Your butt looks great...now that you've mastered that low and slow try some BB's.

Bob
    Alex City Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I'd go with ribs. They are a perfect weekend afternoon cook. Either spares or back ribs. Start them around noon, enjoy the afternoon, and a couple of brews. Have a great BBQ dinner.

Its different than doing them on a Weber, but every slab of ribs I've done on an Egg has been better than what I got out of a metal cooker.
  • I had to separate the bark from the inside since my wife doesn't like the bark.  More for me!!

I covered the wires with aluminum foil because I had read not to get them wet.  After a smoke, everything on the inside of the egg gets coated with a residue and I would be trying to wash them I know it.  Also I had them covered on the outside of the egg in case we had a heavy dew since I cooked overnight.  It may be excessive but I don't want to drop $40 for 2 new probes.  I had 6 grills (2 Chargillers, 2 18 Webbers, 1 Table top Webber) including this egg and my wife explained to me that I had to many.  I am keeping the table top, it's more portable.

I bought some BB ribs last night and will try them this weekend along with a spatchcock chicken.  Thanks for all of your input.
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Pizza!! or chicken wings.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• What kind of stone do I need for pizza?  I want to cook one but have read not to use the pampered chef stone.  My wife has one and i don't want to end up buying her a new one after it explodes and then buying me a different one to use on the egg.
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN
  • One thing I forgot to add in my original post.  Is it just me or is the daisy wheel really touchy.  I set the alarm on the Maverick if the temp got to 300 max and 210 min and it went off during the night.  I went out and the dome was a little over 300 so I adjusted the daisy wheel a little (very small movement) and an hour later the alarm went off and the dome was a little under 210.  I went back out and adjusted the wheel basically back where I had it originally and it stayed at 250 for the rest of the smoke.  The first alarm went off 4 hours into the smoke and the last adjustment I made at 5 hours into the smoke stayed constant for 12 hours.  Any similar experience from anybody?
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Your experience with the temp changes is not too unusual. I stopped using a Maverick some time ago, and just get up to check the temp once 4 hours after bed, and then 4 hours after that. Even with a fire that was stable for an hour before putting the meat on, it is not unusual to have the temperature creep up over a period of hours. Adjustments are really just a tap on either vent.  By the middle of a long cook, I have my vents all but shut to keep the dome at 250F. I'm surprised sometimes that the fire doesn't go out, the air flow is so sma;;

A new daisy wheel does swivel around easily, and does not make the best seal. As they get gunked up, they work better. In fact, they will need to spend some time on the grill when the Egg is shut down to burn off the excess.
  • Glad to know it is not just me.  I guess the longer I cook on it the better I will get.  Thanks for the info.
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN
  • I have used a pampered chef stone at least 10 times without any problem  (temp is temp)!

If you just want to buy one go to ceramicgrillstore.com

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    temp is temp, but not all ceramic is the same.  those pampered chef ones will eventually crack.  haven't seen one on the forum yet that didn't, unfortunately.

you may be lucky, or maybe they changed their formula.  might even be a thickness issue.  not sure.  my old P/C stone was thin, and cracked with a little minor explosion.  wife not happy. hahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209

I suggest ribs. either kind, baby backs are better, st louis are cheaper.

You sound like you did your reasearch on the butt.

Some BBQ places cut bark from butt and sell seperate but it is rare. I guess it is too much trouble. I too prefer the bark.

I assume you were using a Maverick. check out a BBQ guru.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • I did a lot of reading on this forum before I attempted the butt.  The information that was available was spot on.  I was using the Maverick and didn't have any issues with it.  I will look into the guru.
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN
  • I've tried many pizza stones and found Pampered Chef the best. As for cracking, keep the temp under 700 and do not set a hot stone on a frozen surface. ie: granite table top in the winter ! oops!!
    It will take a while to understand cooking time for pizza as the crust and oil content of ingredients can vary a great deal.
  • Cooked BB Ribs and Spatchcocked Chicken this past weekend and they both turned out great.  I used Car Wash Mike's Rib recipe and it was good.  The spatchcocked chicken was more moist than any beer can chicken ever was.

imageimageimage
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN