Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wokking

JerkChicken
JerkChicken Posts: 551
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anybody using their eggs to Wok? I just ordered a spider from CGS along with the adjustable rig. I already own a 16" Carbon Steel wok that I previously used over a LP jet burner I fashioned out of a turkey frier. If the egg works as good or better than my jet burner than I will be happy to get rid of the propane and find yet another awesome dedicated use for my egg.

How hot does the wok get in the egg? Does it get Chinese restaurant hot?

Does what's left of the gasket fry completely? I can't imagine it holding up to the temps required to wok with the flames shooting up the sides. 

Can anyone share their egg-wokking experience?
LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2012
    I wok probably more than any other type of cooking.  The Egg is fantastic for wokking.  The fire will get up to about 1100 degrees which is great for stir frying.  I put the spider down, and my 16" carbon steel wok fits perfectly in it.   Get a long spatula though.  The heat from the fire will come up around the wok and fry your arm.

Don't know about the gasket.  I haven't had one since two weeks after I got my Egg.  Haven't missed it either.

Here is a picture of some sukiyaki making.

I got my spatula from The Wok Shop in San Francisco

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I suppose you can get rid of those pesky hairs on your knuckles too.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• I suppose you can get rid of those pesky hairs on your knuckles too.
    I was really glad to get rid of the hair in my ears.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot: Cool, thanks for sharing. Yea, I got my wok, and the same spatulas from The Wok Shop in SF as well. They are the real deal. My wok is nicely seasoned these days too. 

So you put the spider legs-down? And as far as the airflow, do you just open the bottom vent completely and let her rip?

Do you shut the dome lid at all for any reason?
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Yep, I open up the vent all the way.

I put the wok down and heat it up good before putting oil (peanut oil) in, then swirl it around.  That way, the pores open up, and you rarely, if ever, get any sticking.

I never close the dome because I'm busy stir frying.

You sound like a seasoned wokker, so you know all of this.

Oh, BTW, get some really good high temperature gloves for handling the wok.  My wok has two handles on it, so when I'm done ( or dumping out at an intermediate step), the gloves are mandatory to pick the wok up.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Cool. Along with the spider and rig I ordered the welders gloves so that should do the trick hopefully. Jeesh, all these eggsessories are costing me nearly what I paid for the, already expensive, egg! $-)
  • Jeesh, all these eggsessories are costing me nearly what I paid for the, already expensive, egg! $-)
    How can you put a value on your little woman, purring at your feet in admiration of your gourmet chef abilities?
    Like the Master Card commercial, Priceless !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Yea, when I told my wife about this "Big green egg thingy" and it's price, she was not too happy with my new obsession. Now after the few months I've had it, she has done a complete 180 and begs for me to cook on it! It really is priceless. Wonder how she'll feel about a second egg...    >:)
  • Wonder how she'll feel about a second egg...    >:)
    Don't press your luck.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

•  spider from CGS along with the adjustable rig.
    Being new here the acronyms are sometime had to follow. Is there a web link for this place. It just figured out what EVOO stood for a few days ago. WelI assume it mean Extra Virgin Olive Oil

There is nothing in the Eggictionary for CGS or EVOO

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I highly recommend the adjustable rig setup with the spider and 13" stone to use in the spider for indirect and the small BGE cast iron grid to also put down in the spider to allow for searing right on the burning lump basically.
  • I highly recommend the adjustable rig setup with the spider and 13" stone to use in the spider for indirect and the small BGE cast iron grid to also put down in the spider to allow for searing right on the burning lump basically.
    This is what I just ordered, along with the sliding grid and rig extender and welding gloves... $260 shipped... This is not cheap  :O
    At least there are a million different ways I can rationalize the eggspenses. Next up: Thermapen and Maverick 
    @-)
  • This forum has cost me 300 bucks in 30 minutes
  • "Wareagle1980 This forum has cost me 300 bucks in 30 minutes"
    Bwaaahahha
    =))

At least I'm not alone
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    You're welcome wareagle and jerkchicken! Welcome to the club!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Question: Any of you guys gone out for dinner or ordered pizza since you got your eggs?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

•  

Quoting Village Idiot:

"How can you put a value on your little woman, purring at your feet in admiration of your gourmet chef abilities?"

Like the Master Card commercial, Priceless !"

I certainly agree with Idiot.  I did a mess of wing last night with my ancho rub.  The wife was making "honeymoon sounds" as she ate them.

Yup, whatever you spend on this puppy is worth it.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Little Steven said:
    Question: Any of you guys gone out for dinner or ordered pizza since you got your eggs?

Do they still have Pizza parlors?  How quaint.  I remember them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Gary,

Nobody thakes that into the count when they talk about egg costs. You might add the cost of eggstra guests but I think it is a wash. My expense account is zero unless I'm traveling. Hope all is good with you buddy!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    edited January 2012
    Steve,

Yeah, the Egg makes the best pizza I've ever eaten.  Also, when we have guests over, and one of them is a vegetarian, I usually will let them put their own fixin's on the pizza and I'll cook them.  That way, the carnivores and the vegetarians are happy.

Good hearing from you, Steve !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    edited January 2012
    Tweeve,

I'd be happy to give you any advice I can.  Wokking is a lot of fun, and makes excellent food too.

The key term for wok cooking is mise en place.  I put each ingredient in a ramekin or bowl and place the ramekins in order of adding to the cook.  Also, if I'm not real familiar with the recipe, I'll print each step out in large font so I can reference it during the cook.  Stir frying goes so fast, you don't have time for finding or measuring the ingredients.  They need to be ready at the right time.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    bring the egg to 600, open dome, close lower vent, wait for flames to drop and put your wok in and cook. cooking in a wok is fast, you dont need the fire roaring up over the sides as at 600 degrees dome its alot hotter down by the lump. as you get quicker with the procedure you can go hotter but starting at 600 is similar to a 30,000 to 40,000 btu wok burner, maybe higher. it way out does my 20,000 btu wok burner in the house. shutting the lower vent once everything is hot and red  is the key to wokking in an egg. always dome open
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Village Idiot
    edited January 2012
    If you are just starting, a lower temperature might be better.  You never want to reach the smoke point of the oil (410° for peanut oil, 446° for grapeseed oil).  Once my wok is hot, I'll take it off the fire and add the oil and swirl it around then put it back on the flame.  According to Grace Young (Breath of a Wok & Stir Frying To The Sky's Edge), professional Chinese chefs use burners 20 times hotter than a residential burner.

I'm not scientific, but to me:

The hotter the fire, the quicker the stir fry is cooked
    The quicker the stir fry is cooked, the less nutrients are lost and the tastier and healthier the result.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fishlessman
    600 is a good starting point, this was some kind of oyster orange chicken, dont remember the exact recipe.

fukahwee maine

• Village Idiot
    edited January 2012

Fishlessman,

Looks good !

Confucious say: "There is more than one way to skin a panda".  Whatever temperature you're comfortable with is the one you should use.

Cashew Chicken

Peppersteak

Sweet & Sour Pork

Fried Rice

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    I wok in my xl. I have a spider down low and a big allclad wok. I have the vent wide open and lid up and charcoal bed is. As hot as I can get. I use a lump reducer to localize the heat. Key is hot, hot. Egg gets wok far hotter than I can ever get on my hottest stove burner. I also use peanut oil. Making Kung Pao chicken tonite.
  • fishlessman
    i could eat that cashew chicken every day, even have the same bowl. for some reason, never been able to make a descent fried rice.
    fukahwee maine

• rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    Key to fried rice is day old cooked rice, I've found.