Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Number of chickens on a large

Smokey_Pete
Smokey_Pete Posts: 14
edited January 2012 in Poultry
Does anyone have pictures to show how you can fit 6 chickens vertically on a large?  I see this is what is claimed on BGE's website, but have yet to see it.  I want to go buy some vertical roasters, but I need to see how many I can actually use at one time.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i think these were smaller 4 pounders but there is 11, scroll around he has a homemade stand.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=120314&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wow. Thanks.  I only ever roast 3lb chickens, so I guess I can fit 6 of them.  But it looks from the picture that he has done it by putting the plate setter legs up and then placed the chickens right on the plate setter.  Is this set-up going to have the chickens too close to the fire?  The way I roast is - plate setter legs up, drip pan on plate setter, grill on top, then lay chickens directly on the grill.  (I'm a newbie - only had the egg for 3 weeks).  Would you be able to vertically roast with the set-up I use, or will the chickens be touching the dome?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i believe these were done at 250 direct. he has a writup in that link somewhere for direct and indirect at higher temps. if you go with roasting temps you definatly need a pan with that much chicken
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it