Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru Temp Control

Buckdodger
Buckdodger Posts: 957
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Went surfing today looking at Eggcessaries. Got on the BBQ Guru site and saw a Temp controlling device called a BBQ Guru Party Q. It is battery operated ( 4 AA's ) and has a 5 cfm blower and probe. Comes with a bottom vent attachment to fit a L BGE. Any Eggers out there have one or heard anything about them. Sounds like a good alternative to using a power cord.  $139.   Thanks guy's ....and Gal's.

Bob
Alex City Al  

Opelika, Alabama

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I have seen several good reviews so far.  I ordered mine over a month ago and it is still on back order.  They sent me a $25.00 carry case for having to wait.  BBQ Guru customer service has always been excellent!

Mike
    Omaha, NE 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2012
    I have the DigiQ DX.  The Party Q sounds like a decent less expensive alternative to controlling your egg.  The thing is, I would never buy one without a power cord.  You would never know when the batteries are going to run out (e.g. 4:00 am in the middle of a low & slow!).  Unless you're cooking out in the middle of an abandoned field, getting a unit plugged in shouldn't be an issue.  Just my .02 on battery only operation.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Went surfing today looking at Eggcessaries. Got on the BBQ Guru site and saw a Temp controlling device called a BBQ Guru Party Q. It is battery operated ( 4 AA's ) and has a 5 cfm blower and probe. Comes with a bottom vent attachment to fit a L BGE. Any Eggers out there have one or heard anything about them. Sounds like a good alternative to using a power cord.  $139.   Thanks guy's ....and Gal's.

Bob
    Alex City Al  
    I have been very pleased with mine.  Link below has some of my thoughts on it, if you're thinking about buying one.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1135795/bbq-guru-partyq#Item_16
  • Thanks for the feedback guy's. I have no idea how much the fan would run on a low and slow. Running the batteries down would be an issue. I just thought the price was attractive as opposed to the Guru's and others that cost much more...like in the $200 - 250 range. I have done many a Butt overnight and not had any problems.....buttt I found myself checking on temps several times during the night and tweeking the vents if needed.

Bob
    Alex City Al 

Opelika, Alabama
  • BOWHUNR
    I have the DigiQ DX.  The Party Q sounds like a decent less expensive alternative to controlling your egg.  The thing is, I would never buy one without a power cord.  You would never know when the batteries are going to run out (e.g. 4:00 am in the middle of a low & slow!).  Unless you're cooking out in the middle of an abandoned field, getting a unit plugged in shouldn't be an issue.  Just my .02 on battery only operation.
    I also have two of the DigiQ DX's for my larges but the Party Q will be the answer for taking my small on hunting trips.  I keep forgetting to pack one of those pesky outlets!  :D

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • Thanks for the feedback guy's. I have no idea how much the fan would run on a low and slow. Running the batteries down would be an issue. I just thought the price was attractive as opposed to the Guru's and others that cost much more...like in the $200 - 250 range. I have done many a Butt overnight and not had any problems.....buttt I found myself checking on temps several times during the night and tweeking the vents if needed.

Bob
    Alex City Al 
    Once you're up to temp, it just puffs a little air, cycling through start and top every few seconds.  One set of batteries lasted about 25 hours, but I think it could last 30 if you weren't as impatient as I am.
  • So far everything I've read has been a positive comment. Went to bluegrasstigers link and read more comments and it sounds like the guy's that have one are satisfied. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Bob
    Alex City Al 

Opelika, Alabama
  • Just got a digi q II. Used it for pizza last night and lOved it.
  • The Party Q has a battery indicator so you should be able to tell the state of the batteries.  And if you are cooking lots of dollars worth of meat, start with a couple dollars for fresh batteries.  The only drawback I see to the batteries is if you want to use it in uber-cold weather where alkalines won't do the job.  You can use lithium batteries but they are a little pricey.
    The Naked Whiz
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    The only drawback I see to the batteries is if you want to use it in uber-cold weather where alkalines won't do the job.  You can use lithium batteries but they are a little pricey.
    Good point.  Battery power ain't gonna cut it where I live.  I'll stick with the AC model.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• BOWHUNR
    C'mon Choke....you're in Wisconsin, not the North Pole! :D

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Sold my Digi Q 11 (never out of the box yesterday) and have my name on the list for the PartyQ. Just did not want to have to think that much and mess with the wires.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Sold my Digi Q 11 (never out of the box yesterday) and have my name on the list for the PartyQ. Just did not want to have to think that much and mess with the wires.
    My sentiments eggzactly.

Bob
    Alex City Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited January 2012
    C'mon Choke....you're in Wisconsin, not the North Pole! :D

Mike
    Omaha, NE
    Aren't they the same place? :-)

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674

Here in Central Texas we got down in the 30's last nigt. Should be a law......

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tater
    Tater Posts: 16
    Got my DigiQdx2 yesterday.....wooo hooo!!!  Worked great right of of the box!  Used to cook some pork tenderloins at 400....held the temp perfect.  This week picnic pork shoulder with be the acid test...will let you all know!  With Choke up here in Wisconsin dealing with winter......
    Always having fun with the BGE!