Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Swamp Venom Chicken

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

I picked up a whole chicken the other day and wanted to do a spatchcock chicken on the egg last night. I've done spatchcock before, but it's been awhile. I applied Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom on it and threw it on the Egg at 400F with a raised grate and apple wood for smoke.

It turned out great. Nice heat level to it, but not to hot, juicy and a crispy skin and done quicker than a beer can chicken. Let me just say, I won't be doing BCCs anymore. This is now my go to way to cook chicken.

http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2012/01/11/spatchcock-chicken/

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Good looking chicken Sir. We do all the same except  two items.  First I leave mine overnight in the fridge uncovered (just like the skin). And second is  in rubs/wood: I like one of three rubs, Butt Rub, Cluck & Squeal, or coffee rub and for wood I like Cherry/pecan mix of VERY LITTLE chips of wood.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    I pulled the Cluck & Squeal out of the spice rack, but put it back as we used it the other weekend on some chicken. I almost used cherry, but somebody (not pointing fingers, cuz I'd be pointing at myself) left them out and they got rained on and I didn't want to throw wet chips on. Plus, I just found apple for the first time and thought I'd give it a go.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2012

Griffin you bring up a question. The other day on a post it was said by someone I value the persons thoughts that it did not matter if the wood was seasoned (as I always did) or green you could use it. If that is correct (see no reason it is not) could you have used your wet cherry as well? Just hit me when you posted above. We use dry wood in our Eggs (most of us, except that BGE Cookbook).

Next question: can you tell the difference between a light wood as pecan and apple?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I agree cooks alot faster than beer can chicken and just as good!  I like to cut out the keel bone and cartlige between the breasts and make two halves.  I seem to be able to handle more chicken on the grid that way.  Your chicken looks great. 

There is a great link on cutting the chicke on Nakedwhiz.com  under recipes for chicken  you can look at his halfcock chicken.  With a good pair of sheers and a knife it is very easy. 

• Griffin

Yeah you can, I suppose. There's that ongoing debate on whether to soak wood chips/chunks or not and these were soaked. The bag was open at the top so it filled with water. I used to on my old offset, and maybe I did when I first got my egg, but I've fallen into the don't bother to soak them camp.

As far as the smoke, it give it a subtle hint of smoke which was not overpowering. I grew up in South Texas, so the only wood people used was mesquite so I got used to that, and I like it, but it really is too strong for chicken IMHO. I like to use fruit woods like cherry (and now apple) for poultry and fish. I'll savemy mesquite for brisket, buts and ribs.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    JGIFFORD - I agree, with more chicken that would make it easier to handle. But with just one, it wasn't necessary. Just extra steps and effort.

Rowlett, Texas

• bamafan62
    bamafan62 Posts: 137
    I am a new owner of a BGE.  What is a "raised grate"?  Are there other grate levels?  Thanks!

Phil

• Griffin

Phil, a raised grate is just a way of getting your grate higher up. You can place bricks between your fire ring and grate, or coke cans. In my case, I have a BGE Grill exender, which is another grate that goes on top of your original grate. It allows you to either get your food further away from the heat or gives you more room to cook extra food. There are other companies that make other similar products, but this one was given to me last year.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    edited January 2012

Oh, and the sides flip up to give you access to food underneath if you are using it for extra food. Here's another picture of it wiht plate setter, grate then grill extender to show you how it lifts up the food.

Rowlett, Texas

• Go to ceramicgrillstore.com  they have ways to cook as high and low as possible.  Some nice stuff.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Here's anotther site to check for a raised grid option-ceramicgrillworks.com .  But the fire bricks/cans and either your grate (if not used on the fire ring) or another grate work just as well.  It's all about distance from the burning lump.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I tried to look on there myself but it just said site under construction, but as stated above some bricks on end would do fine. 
  • bamafan62
    Thank you very much!  If you use the raised option does the meat cook faster because the food is closer to the dome and the dome temp is higher than the "base" grate temp.? 

I appreciate your help!

Phil
  • Yes the temp is higher in the dome and it will cook faster plus if you are cooing direct heat you want have a stray leaping flame on your meat.
  • Yes 2 nd lie of the day tweev
  • I went to work lol!
  • bamafan62
    I have been meaning to ask; what is a "spider"?