Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Salmon On Anything Other Than Planks?

Jasper
Jasper Posts: 378
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi all, what are some of your favorite ways to cook up salmon fillets other than on planks? I want to start cooking more salmon but don't want to keep buying planks, which I'll do only occasionally.

I was thinking direct on CI (but that would be like frying?), indirect on parchment paper, or directly on the grill. Any other suggestions? I like my salmon smokey and a little on the dry side.

Comments

• nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    I get salmon fillets with skin-on. Use your favorite rub on the fillet...I like to mix oil, minced garlic and herbs de provence together to form a paste. Coat fillet with paste and refrigerate for an hour or two. Set BGE for indirect, dome temp of 375. Place fillet directly on grill skin side down and cook till done...approx 15min. It's very tasty...enjoy.
    Fairview, Texas
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i go direct on the grill.

if it's the cost of planks that is holding you back (they can be ridiculously overpriced), try buying what are called 'undercourse shingles' from a big box store.  they have knots, and some are thinner than you want, but at 8 bucks for an armload, you'll find plenty of useable shingles.

snip off the thin end, soak, and you are good to go.

(and no, there's no 'chemical treatment' on them.  white or red cedar only...)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    After using a fan to air dry the salmon fillets for a couple of hours, I run indirect (using available fruit wood-cherry or apple) at around 225-250*F skin side down on the grate to 140*F (takes 40-60 mins depending on the thickness). Remove fillet and then remove skin and enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jasper
    Thanks. Do you ever have issues with the fish breaking apart or sticking taking it off the grill?
  • Use your favorite rub. Brush a little maple syrup. Grill direct with a little alder wood. Excellent results. I don't like the flavor from planks.
  • Salt and pepper, olive oil, meat side down on a hot oiled CI grate. Leave alone for a few minutes...it should release intact once it reaches a nice carmelized brown, flip and cook a few more minutes just until the meat stars to give way with a poke of a finger. Remove before it is fully cooked,rest for 5minutes and top with butter/vinegar/shallot sauce...don't over cook!!! Yum...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

No sticking issues here-spray the grid with Pam before and use two spatulas to lift-if the skin sticks -just that much less to remove.  BTW-the air dry (ideally in cool air-or with a ziploc bag of ice under the fillet) creates what is known as the pellicle which helps the smoke adhere.  Here's a good link (should of put this up before) that I generally follow-modified over time:

http://fishcooking.about.com/od/smokebrine/ss/smokingfish.htm

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Jasper - I have done them directly on the grate on the Egg, see picture below. You can also fold a piece of aluminum foil over a couple of times and lay the salmon directly on that. I've also seen somebody cut thin slices of lemon and then laying the salmon on top of that. I have not tried that method, just offering it up as a solution.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    edited January 2012
    My favorite way is to put the fillet on a semi circular pan which has a non stick surface.  The picture I've attached is an old one when I cooked them indirect, but I now just put the pan on the grill over direct heat.  I usually cook it at about 350 and it only takes about 20 minutes or so to cook.

Had problem posting the picture, see the next post.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Food only sticks when it's not ready to flip
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Jasper
    Thanks all. I like the lemon idea. I think on my next salmon cook, I'll try a couple pieces different ways.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

I like it skin side down brushed with oil directly on the grill, indirect heat at 225º for about an hour with alder or cherry.

IMHO ... cedar stinks!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.